Academic Integrity: The Do’s & Don’ts
The concept of academic integrity, to pursue one’s education in an honest and responsible manner, lies at the very heart of any college, and the lack of academic integrity can have significant consequences for students and can impact the campus and the community. Thus, it is imperative that the concept be fully understood in terms of its definition, who it hurts, and why we should care. Academic dishonesty can take different forms, including cheating, plagiarism, and computer abuse, but it has many other forms as well. This workshop is an opportunity to review ethical standards which will empower students to practice both personal and academic honesty and to better understand academic and campus cultures with regard to academic integrity. It is designed to help students learn about academic dishonesty in various forms, how to improve time management, and how to seek out campus resources so students can make better choices with regards to academic integrity.
Students will learn:
- Explain the definition of academic integrity
- Demonstrate why it is important to student success as well as the reputation of the institution
- Learn strategies for reporting and identifying academic dishonesty
- Review academic dishonesty scenarios and determine the correct course of action
- Discover how to avoid academic dishonesty by employing study and time management strategies
Teddi Fishman is the Director for The Center for Academic Integrity, which exists to raise awareness about plagiarism and to encourage commitment to academic integrity in educational institutions. The center also provides its members with new, up-to-date technologies and products to keep the commitment to academic integrity alive.
Fishman, who grew up in St. Charles, Mo., earned a bachelor’s degree in English from Auburn University at Montgomery, master’s degrees in both English and professional communication at Clemson University and a Ph.D. in rhetoric
and composition from Purdue University in 2002. She has taught many courses — mostly in writing or professional communication — at undergraduate and graduate levels at Purdue University, the State University of West Georgia and Clemson University. Fishman has also been an active part of Clemson’s faculty and student development, working with the Pearce Center for Professional Communication.
“Academic integrity is not just about not cheating,” she says. “It’s more about creating a culture in which the processes of learning are recognized as valuable and valued so that it doesn’t make sense to cheat.”
View all 48 StudentLingo workshops (overview, objectives & presenter information)
If you want access to the free trial where you can view all 48 workshops in full, call or text Erica at 303-305-8856
- Accessible 24/7
- Unlimited institutional access, serve all students for 1 low fee
- Action plans tailored to each workshop
- Additional Resources for each topic
- Branded website
- Web Portal and LMS compatible
- ADA Compliant - Fully accessible
- Reports - Receive monthly participation report on an individual student level
- Access to student evaluation data on a monthly basis
- "I would like to say thank you, the time management videos and advices work just great for me, I used the weekly schedule form that you gave in the videos and it's amazing how can you manage your time. Thank you so much." (sic)
- "Overall the workshop was very helpful, but the most important thing I learned today was how to pay attention and assess my study skills which helped me relax and relieve my anxiety." (sic)
- "I rate the presentation as excellent because the examples given were from students experiences and also discussed the most important issues the student may face that hinder him/her from focusing and losing their academic progress." (sic)
- "Overall all the strategies discussed in the [what is takes to be a successful student] workshop are very helpful, but the most helpful and beneficial strategy is cognitive restructuring, turning something into a positive by self-reflection."
- "Thank you so much for your help! I was able to get a 91% on my test. I am so excited! I applied all the [test anxiety workshop] techniques especially telling myself that I was prepared for the test. I feel so much better, I will apply this to every test or project coming up. It feels so good to be able to remember everything I study. Thanks again." (sic)
College of Southern Nevada
"One of our fundamental goals in building Student Lingo into our curriculum at the College of Southern Nevada was to help close student success equity gaps by focusing on raising success rates of our lower achieving student groups. An analysis of CSN's data highlighted that our non-Asian minority male students were less successful in their courses than most other student groups. Overall, we found that students who used Student Lingo tended to do better in their classes (particularly those courses that were deemed 'challenging' based on average completion rates) than students who did not use Student Lingo. Even more encouraging, our Non-Asian minority male students who used Student Lingo succeeded in their classes at a higher rate as compared to our Non-Asian minority male students who did not use Student Lingo. Now into our fourth year of using Student Lingo, we could not be more pleased with the student success outcomes that we have helped our students achieve. We believe, at least in part, that Student Lingo continues to help us increase our student success rates in multiple areas— Course completions are up, student retention is up and degree completions are up!"
~ James McCoy, Associate Vice President, Academic Affairs, College of Southern Nevada
Southeastern Community College
"With budget cuts in every area of Student Services, and more students in dire need of personal services, StudentLingo workshops have been our dream come true! At Southeastern Community College, we were able to use our Title III funding to purchase workshops to help meet our students' needs. In my role as faculty, I can say that my students always gain a great deal from completing the Learning Styles Survey. It helps them understand how they learn material fastest and provides strategies to transform common lecture/textbook material into the style that works best for each of them. With less staff and increased student needs at every end of the spectrum, I simply cannot express how much these workshops have helped us, to help our students, in ways we could not otherwise do at this point in time. From note-taking skills, to stress management, to mastering an interview, our students now have access to necessary information at virtually any time they need or want it!"
~ Lisa Santiago, Title III Retention Specialist, Psychology & Art Adjunct Faculty, Southeastern Community College, West Burlington, Iowa
What is a live webinar?
A live webinar is an interactive online training. Participants can communicate with the presenter(s) during the event via a live chat feature.
What is an on-demand webinar and how do I get access?
An on-demand training is a previously recorded webinar available online which can accessed anytime, anywhere. You can register for on-demand trainings at any time. You typically receive a link to the recording and handouts within 24 hours of registration. The recording is a campus access license and is available for one year from the date of the live event.
How long are the webinars?
Webinars can be 30, 45, 60, 90 or 120 minutes. Please check each training for the exact timeframe.
How do I register?
You can register online by adding the product to your shopping cart. You can also register by fax (1-866-508-0860), email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or mail by completing the paper-based registration form. The paper-based registration form is unique to each webinar and is available on each product page.
How do I request accommodations?
For captioning or any other accommodation, please contact us 7 days in advance. 303.955.0415 or email@example.com
When do I register?
You can register at any time, even the morning of the live event. If the live event has occurred, you can purchase the on-demand training (recording) of the session. You can register for on-demand trainings at any time.
What is the process for attending a live event?
The process is as follows:
- We email participants login instructions approximately 1 week prior to the live event.
- We email participants a link to the PowerPoint (.pdf) and any additional handouts approximately 1-2 days prior to the live event. Participants can make copies for attendees if desired.
- We give a courtesy reminder call the day before the live event.
- On the day of the live event, participants can login 30 minutes prior to the start time. Once logged in, participants can see the PowerPoint slides, ask questions, and make comments via the chat feature.
- We email participants a link to the recording the Monday following the live event.
Is there a recording available? And how long is the recording good for?
Approximately one week after the conclusion of the live webinar, participants will receive a link to the recording which can be forwarded to all faculty and staff for viewing anytime, anywhere. The recording is a campus access license and is available for one year from the date of the live event.
What are the technical requirements?
Innovative Educators uses WebEx as its web conferencing provider. If you have not previously attended a WebEx event, please Join a Test Meeting to make sure your computer is compatible with WebEx. Be sure to complete this test prior to the live event. System Requirements - Webex System Requirements
What equipment is required?
For individual or small group viewing, a computer with a reliable Internet connection and audio capabilities are all that’s needed. For large group presentations, we recommend a computer with a reliable Internet connection and speakers, as well as an LCD projector. Participants can call in via phone if they are having trouble retrieving the audio over the computer. Please be sure to reserve a meeting room prior to the live event that can accommodate these requirements as well as your attendees. You should reserve the room 30 minutes prior to the webinar start time and you may want to allow at least 15-30 minutes after the webinar for discussion.
What are the benefits of online training?
Cost-Effective: No travel required. Online Training is an innovative way to provide your entire faculty and staff with a variety of professional development opportunities for one low price! The more you train the more you save, as the registration fee is per institution, not per person.
Easy: You will receive a detailed list of instructions via email. If you run into any problems, we're always here to help.
Practical: Our training sessions focus on the most critical and relevant issues facing educators today. Our primary goal is to provide participants with the information, training, and skills necessary to immediately implement positive change at their institutions.
Top-Notch Presenters: Our presenters are subject matter experts and recognized in their field.
Value Added: When you purchase an online training, you also receive a campus-wide access license to the recording for one year. Faculty and staff can access it as often as they like from any location.
Satisfaction Guaranteed: Our online training is 100% guaranteed. If you are not satisfied, we will give you a credit for a future webinar or on-demand training of your choice (of equal or lesser value).
How can we use these trainings?
- Live: Promote and attend a live webinar and debrief immediately following.
- Hybrid: Distribute the recording to all faculty and staff at the beginning of each month and plan a discussion session at the end of the month to determine how you will implement the strategies presented.
- On-Demand: Distribute the recording to faculty and staff so they can watch anytime, anywhere.
In-Service Training: Plan an in-service around a live webinar or schedule a day and time to show the recording in a lecture hall or large conference room and invite faculty and staff to brainstorm and discuss implications for your institution.
Online Faculty and Staff Learning Communities: Distribute the recording to faculty and staff so they can watch anytime, anywhere.
Staff Recognition: Develop a program around the webinar with monthly themes and recognize the staff members that implement the best idea related to the theme.
Team-Building: Utilize these trainings to develop cross-functional and cross-discipline teams to foster collegiality.
New Employee Training: Include the online training as part of your new employee training program to ensure consistency.
Implementation and Follow-Up: Use the guide and evaluation materials provided by Innovative Educators to plan, implement, and track your progress.
How much does a live webinar or on-demand training cost?
1 Training (Live Webinar or On-Demand Training) - $425 Unlimited connections, campus-wide access license to the recording for one year.
- 2 Trainings - $645 Unlimited connections, recording for one year (campus-wide access)
- 3 Trainings - $900 Unlimited connections, recording for one year (campus-wide access)
- 6 Trainings - $1500 Unlimited connections, recording for one year (campus-wide access)
What type of payment do you accept?
You may pay with a credit card (American Express, MasterCard or Visa), PO, check, or electronic transfer of funds. You can email us (firstname.lastname@example.org), call 303-955-0415 or fax 1.866.508.0860.
Payment terms are net 90 days.
Where do I send payment?
Please mail checks and POs to our mailing address:
3277 Carbon Place
Boulder, CO 80301
What is your cancellation policy?
Below is a breakdown of our cancellation policy.
- 30 days prior: Full refund
- 14 days prior: $100 processing fee
- Fewer than 14 days: Credit toward another IE event. Please note that registration for the live webinar includes access to the recording which you can share, as it is a campus access license. We email the recording the Monday following the live event. For questions, please email us or call 303.955.0415.
What is included in the Go2K Membership?
All live Webinars and over 100 pre-selected, on-demand webinars.
Is the price for Go2K a one-time fee or an annual fee?
The purchase price for Go2K is an annual fee, which includes access to over 150 live events/year and 100+ on-demand trainings.
Are their certificates of completion available?
Your on-demand portal includes automated certificates of completion and can be printed or downloaded after completing the training. The live events do not include automated certificates. However, we can provide you a fillable certificate PDF to share with faculty and staff.
What kind of reporting is included?
For your on-demand trainings, we provide you with a monthly usage report as well as an evaluation report. Upon request, we can provide annual or bi-annual registration reports for any live orders.
How do I register for a live event?
After you purchase your Go2K membership, we will email you an institution specific password that can be used to register for any live event.
Can we share the registration coupon code with everyone at our institution?
Yes. Feel free to share the coupon code with anyone at your institution. Please do not share with anyone outside your institution. We recommend registering 24 hours in advance of the live event.
How do I access my on-demand trainings?
After you purchase your Go2K membership, we will email you a link to your on-demand portal that you can share with your entire institution.
How are colleges using Go2O?
Colleges are using Go2O in a variety of ways:
- As a stand-alone online orientation
- As an online complement to their face-to-face orientation
- As an online orientation for their distance learners
- As an online enrollment checklist to ease the registration process
Does purchase of Go2O include completion reports?
You can receive completion reports two ways:
- Automated delivery (ftp dump, email, webhook)
- Instant access via administrative login
What is the registration checklist and is it included in my Go2O purchase?
The online enrollment checklist is designed to walk students through your enrollment process ensuring they make it to the first day of class! The registration checklist is one of the modules available with Go2O. Based on your purchasing level, the module can be a selection or will be included.
Are there various pricing options available for Go2O?
Yes, we have 4 pricing levels available.
Is Go2O ADA compliant and responsive?
Go2O is ADA accessible and fully responsive on any mobile device, tablet, or computer.
How are colleges using SL?
- Career Readiness
- Learning Centers
- TRIO Programs
- IX Training
- IV Grants
- With Advisors & Counselors
- Extended Learning Institute
- FYE & Student Success Courses
- Online FYE Seminar
- Extra Credit
- Financial Aid Appeal
- College Level English Requirement
- Supplemental Instruction
- Target Online Learners
- Student Disability Office
- Writing Center
- Can be required by faculty
- Student Success Course
Which workshops are your top rated?
We take quality seriously, and so all of our workshops are top notch in terms of content and look. However, if we know how you plan to use StudentLingo (FYE, Retention, Probation, TRIO, etc.), we can make workshop recommendations.
Funding is a little tight, how many workshops can I get for $XX?
You can buy the entire StudentLingo package (48 workshops) or we offer several a la carte options. Unlike a lot of other software companies, we don’t charge per user, so we can work with any budget. We recommend talking to other departments on campus to increase your purchasing power and to share the cost. Also, we do have a pay model whereby students pay directly. If you are interested in learning more about this option, give us a call.
Is there an admin view?
This is a feature of our platform, but comes at an additional cost. With the admin view, you get access to more advanced reporting, and you have it in real time. With the standard membership, you get monthly reports.
How have other schools leveraged reporting?
- One of our partners, College of Southern Nevada, used StudentLingo to measure learning outcomes. in a study, one class had access to StudentLingo and the other cohort did not. 92% of the cohort with access to StudentLingo earned a whole letter grade higher than the cohort without StudentLingo.
- A lot of our partners use the data to justify funding for grants, operating dollars, or for new program development.
- The evaluation data is particularly useful in identifying what type of learning students prefer and the qualitative takeaways from viewing the workshop.
- Some of our partners use the data to connect with their student information system, like Banner or Peoplesoft.
- I think a great way to get started on how you want to use the data is to ask yourself some questions:
- How will I know if StudentLingo was successful?
- What do I hope students will gain from access to StudentLingo?
- What data is important for me to know in order to show that StudentLingo is a worthwhile purchase?
What is TutorLingo?
TutorLingo is a series of 9 online training modules that prepare tutors by providing the basic skills necessary to support their peers in becoming more independent and strategic learners.
Should the TutorLingo trainings be viewed in any particular order?
No, each training is a stand-alone workshop, and they can be viewed in any order.
What is the CRLA?
The CRLA is a group of student-oriented professionals active in the fields of reading, learning assistance, developmental education, tutoring, and mentoring. In 1989, the CRLA created a training program that is considered ‘best-practice’ for tutor training. A fews years ago, Innovative Educators partnered with the CRLA to create supplementary training modules. Our training supports learning centers in achieving level 1 certification through CRLA.
Do CRLA members receive a discount on TutorLingo?
Yes. CRLA members receive a 10% discount on TutorLingo.
Is there an admin view?
Yes. The admin view is an upgrade and costs $500, but gives you the ability to access completion data more efficiently and in real time. If you don’t want the admin view, we provide monthly usage reports.
What is ParentLingo?
ParentLingo is a go-to resource that institutions can easily share with parents to encourage student independence, growth & success. ParentLingo is a shared resource that recognizes and includes parents as partners in the educational process.
What is the cost?
Please contact us for pricing information. Email email@example.com or 303-955-0415.
What features are included?
- 8 Targeted Modules For Parents Branding (Logo On Every Page)
- ADA Compliant & Responsive Design
- Promotional Materials
- Registration (First Name, Last Name, Email)
- 8 Targeted Modules For Parents Branding (Logo On Every Page)
- ADA Compliant & Responsive Design
- Promotional Materials
- Completion Reports & Standard Evaluations
- Custom Branding (Logo & Institutional Photos)
- 3 Additional Registration Points
- Add & Edit Custom Content
- Customizable Evaluations & Surveys Advanced Reporting
- Designated Instructional Designer
- Flexible Pricing (College Payment Option Or Parents Pay Directly)