A Toolbox For The Novice Tutor
Sign up for the free trial
As a new tutor, it is important to remember that the student is the focus of your session and her/his specific academic support needs are the reason for your work together. That means that the student should determine the goals for the session; the specific content to work on; how much time to spend on each problem or question (within the framework of the overall time allotted to your tutoring session) and if additional appointments are necessary. In other words, it "isn't about you!"
However, you obviously play a large role in the success of the tutoring session. Your primary roles are to guide the student through the problem or concepts; to help the tutee gain confidence, and to help the tutee learn effective study techniques so that s/he can become a more independent learner.
- Define the role of the tutor and the tutee in a tutoring session and differentiate between the two
- Construct a mock introduction to a first meeting with a tutee
- Discuss what takes place before, during, and after a tutoring session
- Explain verbally and in writing the recommended structure for a one-hour tutoring session
Roberta Schotka is the Director of Programs at Wellesley College's Pforzheimer Learning & Teaching Center. She holds an Ed.M in Instructional Media & Technology, a B.S. in Elementary Education, and has completed the HERS Institute for Women in Higher Education management training program. Roberta is a member of the Learning Assistance Association of New England (LAANE), the New England Peer Tutor Association (NEPTA) and the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA), where she is has just been elected president of the CRLA Northeast Chapter. In addition she is the site chair for the 2013 CRLA national conference in Boston.
For the past eight years Roberta has also served as assistant coordinator and program reviewer for CRLA's International Tutor Training Program Certification (ITTPC) and coordinator of the annual Outstanding Tutor Award. Roberta has been on the NEPTA Steering Committee for the past twelve years and was coordinator for two NEPTA conferences. She also served as national co-chair for the 2008 NADE conference.
Roberta has presented at numerous regional and national conferences. She has directed tutorial and academic support programs at a small, urban community college, a large private research university and currently at a small, private, liberal arts college for women. She has extensive experience in the field of tutoring, tutor training, academic support services and student retention initiatives and has developed and taught first-year experience courses at both the university and community college level.
- Develop Leadership Skills
- Learn To Set Clear Expectations
- Understand & Explain Boundaries
- Hold Students Accountable
- Help Others Succeed & Grow Academically
- Develop Conflict Resolution Skills
- Provide Consistent Training Throughout The Year
- Implement A 24/7 Online Resource
- Deliver Engaging Videos That Prepare Tutors
- Save Time & Money
- Use As A Stand-Alone Training Or A Supplement To Face-To-Face
- Utilize Monthly User Reports For Tutor & Financial Accountability
- The videos provided insight and different perspectives on tutoring. Essential information was shared and made accessible through activities and examples.
- The most helpful strategy that I learned from this video was how to better engage with the tutee when it comes to our sessions and how I could improve my communication with the tutee.
What is TutorLingo (TL)?
TutorLingo is a package of 9 tutor training videos, developed in partnership with the College Reading & Learning Association (CRLA), and can be used in a variety of ways to train tutors in a consistent & timely manner. You can watch all of the videos in full by accessing our free trial or you can get a custom tour by scheduling a demo.
What topics are available?
- The Role Of The Tutor
- A Toolbox For The Novice Tutor
- Developing Critical Thinking Skills
- How To Tutor Writing
- Learning Theory
- The Nature Of Helping Relationships
- Tutoring Students From Diverse Backgrounds
- Understanding Self-Regulatory Behaviors
- Tutee Study Skills: Note-Taking, Reading & Testing Strategies
Should the TutorLingo workshops be viewed in any particular order?
No, each training is a stand-alone workshop, and they can be viewed in any order. However, many schools begin with “A Toolbox For The Novice Tutor”.
How long are the tutor training videos?
Each tutor training video is approximately 20-25 minutes long.
What is included with each video?
Each video comes with additional resources, English captioning, transcripts, a certificate of completion, and discussion questions activities.
Are your tutor training videos ADA compliant?
Our tutor training videos are ADA accessible WCAG 2.0, 2.1 AA standards, and we can provide a VPAT upon request.
Are your tutor training videos mobile responsive?
Yes, our training videos are responsive on any mobile device, tablet or computer.
Does implementation of TutorLingo require IT involvement?
The beauty of our tutor training videos is that IT involvement is not required. However, if you want to have single-sign-on or data integration, then please refer to our IE’s Knowledge Base as IT will need to be involved.
What reports are available?
You get monthly usage and evaluation reports included with TutorLingo, and we also have a robust administrative view to view user-progress and engagement.
What does your tutor training package cost?
TutorLingo is sold as a package (standard or premium level) and can be used to train all tutors for one low institutional fee.
TutorLingo Pricing Guide
*May qualify as an expenditure funded by CARES Act allocations. Please check HEERF guidelines.
Do you offer any discounts for TutorLingo?
- Yes, we offer several kinds of discounts, so be sure to speak with our partner relations team.
- College Reading & Learning Association (CRLA) members receive a 10% discount on TutorLingo.
- We offer multi-year discounts when contracting for more than one year and paying upfront.
- We offer bundling discounts when you buy multiple products.
- Also, schools have used CARES funding and grant funds to pay for our products. Please check HEERF guidelines.
- There is reduced pricing available for California colleges as part of our agreement with CollegeBuys.
What is a live webinar?
A live webinar is an interactive online training. Participants can communicate with the presenter(s) during the event via a live chat feature.
What is an on-demand webinar and how do I get access?
An on-demand training is a previously recorded webinar available online which can be accessed anytime, anywhere. You can register for on-demand trainings at any time. You will receive the recording the week following the live event. The recording is a campus access license and is available for one year from the purchase date.
How long are the webinars?
Webinars range from 60-90 minutes. Please check each training for the exact timeframe.
How do I register?
You can register online by adding the product to your shopping cart. You can also register by fax (1-866-508-0860), email (email@example.com), or mail by completing the paper-based registration form. The paper-based registration form is unique to each webinar and is available on each product page.
How do I request accommodations?
For captioning or any other accommodation, please contact us 7 days in advance. 303.955.0415 or firstname.lastname@example.org
When do I register?
You can register at any time, even the morning of the live event. If the live event has occurred, you can purchase the on-demand training (recording) of the session. You can register for on-demand trainings at any time.
What is the process for attending a live event?
The process is as follows:
- You will receive the login information within 5 minutes of registering for the webinar.
- The presentation materials will be available before the live event. Please check the link in the login information email.
- On the day of the live event, participants can log in 30 minutes prior to the start time. Once logged in, participants can see the PowerPoint slides, ask questions, and make comments via the chat feature.
- We email participants a link to the recording the Monday following the live event.
Is there a recording available? And how long is the recording good for?
Approximately one week after the conclusion of the live webinar, participants will receive a link to the recording which can be forwarded to all faculty and staff for viewing anytime, anywhere. The recording is a campus access license and is available for one year from the date of the live event.
What are the technical requirements?
Innovative Educators uses Zoom as its web conferencing provider. If you have not previously attended a Zoom event, please Join a Test Meeting to make sure your computer is compatible with Zoom. Be sure to complete this test prior to the live event.
What are the benefits of online training?
Cost-Effective: No travel required. Online Training is an innovative way to provide your entire faculty and staff with a variety of professional development opportunities for one low price! The more you train the more you save, as the registration fee is per institution, not per person.
Easy: You will receive a detailed list of instructions via email. If you run into any problems, we're always here to help.
Practical: Our training sessions focus on the most critical and relevant issues facing educators today. Our primary goal is to provide participants with the information, training, and skills necessary to immediately implement positive change at their institutions.
Top-Notch Presenters: Our presenters are subject matter experts and recognized in their field.
Value Added: When you purchase an online training, you also receive a campus-wide access license to the recording for one year. Faculty and staff can access it as often as they like from any location.
Satisfaction Guaranteed: Our online training is 100% guaranteed. If you are not satisfied, we will give you a credit for a future webinar or on-demand training of your choice (of equal or lesser value).
How can we use these trainings?
- Live: Promote and attend a live webinar and debrief immediately following.
- Hybrid: Distribute the recording to all faculty and staff at the beginning of each month and plan a discussion session at the end of the month to determine how you will implement the strategies presented.
- On-Demand: Distribute the recording to faculty and staff so they can watch anytime, anywhere.
In-Service Training: Plan an in-service around a live webinar or schedule a day and time to show the recording in a lecture hall or large conference room and invite faculty and staff to brainstorm and discuss implications for your institution.
Online Faculty and Staff Learning Communities: Distribute the recording to faculty and staff so they can watch anytime, anywhere.
Staff Recognition: Develop a program around the webinar with monthly themes and recognize the staff members that implement the best idea related to the theme.
Team-Building: Utilize these trainings to develop cross-functional and cross-discipline teams to foster collegiality.
New Employee Training: Include the online training as part of your new employee training program to ensure consistency.
Implementation and Follow-Up: Use the guide and evaluation materials provided by Innovative Educators to plan, implement, and track your progress.
How much does a live webinar or on-demand training cost?
1 Training (Live Webinar or On-Demand Training) - $425 Unlimited connections, campus-wide access license to the recording for one year.
- 2 Trainings - $645 Unlimited connections, recording for one year (campus-wide access)
- 3 Trainings - $900 Unlimited connections, recording for one year (campus-wide access)
- 6 Trainings - $1500 Unlimited connections, recording for one year (campus-wide access)
What type of payment do you accept?
You may pay with a credit card (American Express, MasterCard or Visa), PO, check, or electronic transfer of funds. You can email us (email@example.com), call 303-955-0415 or fax 1.866.508.0860.
Payment terms are net 90 days.
Where do I send payment?
Please mail checks and POs to our mailing address:
3277 Carbon Place
Boulder, CO 80301
What is your cancellation policy?
Below is a breakdown of our cancellation policy.
- 30 days prior: Full refund
- 14 days prior: $100 processing fee
- Fewer than 14 days: Credit toward another IE event. Please note that registration for the live webinar includes access to the recording which you can share, as it is a campus access license. We email the recording the Monday following the live event. For questions, please email us or call 303.955.0415.
What is included in the Go2K Membership?
All live Webinars and over 100 pre-selected, on-demand webinars.
Is the price for Go2K a one-time fee or an annual fee?
The purchase price for Go2K is an annual fee, which includes access to over 150 live events/year and 100+ on-demand trainings.
Are their certificates of completion available?
Your on-demand portal includes automated certificates of completion and can be printed or downloaded after completing the training. The live events do not include automated certificates. However, we can provide you a fillable certificate PDF to share with faculty and staff.
What kind of reporting is included?
For your on-demand trainings, we provide you with a monthly usage report as well as an evaluation report. Upon request, we can provide annual or bi-annual registration reports for any live orders.
How do I register for a live event?
After you purchase your Go2K membership, we will email you an institution specific password that can be used to register for any live event.
Can we share the registration coupon code with everyone at our institution?
Yes. Feel free to share the coupon code with anyone at your institution. Please do not share with anyone outside your institution. We recommend registering 24 hours in advance of the live event.
How do I access my on-demand trainings?
After you purchase your Go2K membership, we will email you a link to your on-demand portal that you can share with your entire institution.
How are colleges using Go2O?
Colleges are using Go2O in a variety of ways:
- As a stand-alone online orientation
- As an online complement to their face-to-face orientation
- As an online orientation for their distance learners
- As an online enrollment checklist to ease the registration process
Does purchase of Go2O include completion reports?
You can receive completion reports two ways:
- Automated delivery (ftp dump, email, webhook)
- Instant access via administrative login
What is the registration checklist and is it included in my Go2O purchase?
The online enrollment checklist is designed to walk students through your enrollment process ensuring they make it to the first day of class! The registration checklist is one of the modules available with Go2O. Based on your purchasing level, the module can be a selection or will be included.
Are there various pricing options available for Go2O?
Yes, we have 4 pricing levels available.
Is Go2O ADA compliant and responsive?
Go2O is ADA accessible and fully responsive on any mobile device, tablet, or computer.
How are colleges using SL?
- Career Readiness
- Learning Centers
- TRIO Programs
- IX Training
- IV Grants
- With Advisors & Counselors
- Extended Learning Institute
- FYE & Student Success Courses
- Online FYE Seminar
- Extra Credit
- Financial Aid Appeal
- College Level English Requirement
- Supplemental Instruction
- Target Online Learners
- Student Disability Office
- Writing Center
- Can be required by faculty
- Student Success Course
Which workshops are your top rated?
We take quality seriously, and so all of our workshops are top notch in terms of content and look. However, if we know how you plan to use StudentLingo (FYE, Retention, Probation, TRIO, etc.), we can make workshop recommendations.
Funding is a little tight, how many workshops can I get for $XX?
You can buy the entire StudentLingo package (50 workshops) or we offer several a la carte options. Unlike a lot of other software companies, we don’t charge per user, so we can work with any budget. We recommend talking to other departments on campus to increase your purchasing power and to share the cost. Also, we do have a pay model whereby students pay directly. If you are interested in learning more about this option, give us a call.
Is there an admin view?
This is a feature of our platform, but comes at an additional cost. With the admin view, you get access to more advanced reporting, and you have it in real time. With the standard membership, you get monthly reports.
How have other schools leveraged reporting?
- One of our partners, College of Southern Nevada, used StudentLingo to measure learning outcomes. in a study, one class had access to StudentLingo and the other cohort did not. 92% of the cohort with access to StudentLingo earned a whole letter grade higher than the cohort without StudentLingo.
- A lot of our partners use the data to justify funding for grants, operating dollars, or for new program development.
- The evaluation data is particularly useful in identifying what type of learning students prefer and the qualitative takeaways from viewing the workshop.
- Some of our partners use the data to connect with their student information system, like Banner or Peoplesoft.
- I think a great way to get started on how you want to use the data is to ask yourself some questions:
- How will I know if StudentLingo was successful?
- What do I hope students will gain from access to StudentLingo?
- What data is important for me to know in order to show that StudentLingo is a worthwhile purchase?
What is TutorLingo?
TutorLingo is a series of 9 online training modules that prepare tutors by providing the basic skills necessary to support their peers in becoming more independent and strategic learners.
Should the TutorLingo trainings be viewed in any particular order?
No, each training is a stand-alone workshop, and they can be viewed in any order.
What is the CRLA?
The CRLA is a group of student-oriented professionals active in the fields of reading, learning assistance, developmental education, tutoring, and mentoring. In 1989, the CRLA created a training program that is considered ‘best-practice’ for tutor training. A fews years ago, Innovative Educators partnered with the CRLA to create supplementary training modules. Our training supports learning centers in achieving level 1 certification through CRLA.
Do CRLA members receive a discount on TutorLingo?
Yes. CRLA members receive a 10% discount on TutorLingo.
Is there an admin view?
Yes. The admin view is an upgrade and costs $500, but gives you the ability to access completion data more efficiently and in real time. If you don’t want the admin view, we provide monthly usage reports.
What is ParentLingo?
ParentLingo is a go-to resource that institutions can easily share with parents to encourage student independence, growth & success. ParentLingo is a shared resource that recognizes and includes parents as partners in the educational process.
What is the cost?
Please contact us for pricing information. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-955-0415.
What features are included?
- 8 Targeted Modules For Parents Branding (Logo On Every Page)
- ADA Compliant & Responsive Design
- Promotional Materials
- Registration (First Name, Last Name, Email)
- 8 Targeted Modules For Parents Branding (Logo On Every Page)
- ADA Compliant & Responsive Design
- Promotional Materials
- Completion Reports & Standard Evaluations
- Custom Branding (Logo & Institutional Photos)
- 3 Additional Registration Points
- Add & Edit Custom Content
- Customizable Evaluations & Surveys Advanced Reporting
- Designated Instructional Designer
- Flexible Pricing (College Payment Option Or Parents Pay Directly)