Training Tutors To Help Tutees With Study Skills & Strategies
Challenge - Teaching tutees study skills strategies
Providing resources and strategies for tutor trainers to better educate tutors about working with students to develop efficient study skills.
Webinar participants will learn about the importance of training tutors to support students in building academic stamina with developing their college-level study strategies and discover new training exercises and approaches for doing so.
For many students, when they seek out help in our support centers, tutors quickly discover that their area of greatest need is not necessarily the actual course but how to make sense of it to find meaning and relevance. As a result, a tutor's job quickly becomes more of showing students how to learn and less of working with them on what to learn. The best tutors give tutees the techniques and the skills to learn. If this sounds like a challenge for tutors and tutor trainers--it is!
A successful and effective tutoring program trains its tutors in helping students to build academic stamina by integrating learning techniques and skills ranging from good study habits to detecting how each student learns best. By showing a student careful reading techniques, note-taking methods, and time management skills, for example, tutors can assist their tutees how to study more effectively, clearing a path for learning.
Now, more than ever, students are struggling with utilizing study skills and sustaining effective academic habits as they are returning to learning in person. According to Ann Denon (Best Colleges, April 2021), studies from the past year have indicated that the shift to online learning damaged students' focus and motivation. Many students have performed worse academically since the transition to remote learning. She suggests that this "learning loss" could be counteracted by living on campus, but that's not possible for all students.
Tutoring centers are now in a pivotal position to help students build academic skills that have regressed, learn college-level study skills, and hone their self-advocacy skills. Indeed, while higher education course content may be challenging, students need support with their study and learning skills and strategies.
Tutors are in a great position to help students develop these good habits, but sometimes they feel less equipped and confident in moving beyond the content in their tutoring sessions to work on these skills and strategies. This session will help tutor trainers better prepare their tutors for working with tutees on study strategies during tutoring sessions.
- Reflect on the impacts of COVID on students' academic performance and challenges created by recent years of online and hybrid learning
- Review K-12 literature on re-entry into face-to-face learning and how it can inform higher education practices and programs
- Discuss areas of academic support needed for students to regain their academic stamina and skills
- Discover ways that tutors can engage with students beyond content by focusing on study skills and strategies
- Learn training exercises and practices that better prepare tutors to focus on study skills in tutoring sessions.
- Discuss ways of encouraging tutors to help their tutees overcome potential barriers to learning associated with study strategies
- Tutoring Center Administrators and Supervisors including tutor trainers
- Writing Center Administrators and Supervisors
- Any educator interested in learning more about training tutors to teach their tutees study skills
For many students, the pandemic has shaken their academic confidence in a variety of ways. Students are less apt to reach out for help, doubting their self-advocacy skills. They are unsure about the study skills they should be applying to achieve mastery in their college level courses. New students aren't always clear where on campus they should turn to in order to get help with developing new strategies, but they will surface in our support centers for tutoring help in the content areas. Our tutors are in the best position to help their peers develop confidence and learn study strategies that will increase their academic stamina.
Laurie L. Hazard is the Assistant Dean for Student Success at Bryant University in Smithfield, RI. As a member of the Applied Psychology Department, she writes about parent involvement, student personality types and classroom success. She is an award-winning expert on how students can make successful transitions from high school to college. After earning her Master’s of Education degree from Boston University in counseling, she received a Doctoral degree from Boston University in Curriculum and Teaching. Laurie is co-author of the book Foundations for Learning, 3rd Edition (2012, Prentice Hall), which is designed to help students make a successful transition to college by encouraging them to take responsibility for and claim their own education. Hazard’s textbook has been adopted by colleges and universities around the country, including Boston University, University of Nevada, and Texas A&M. Richard J. Light, the Walter H. Gale Professor of Education at Harvard University, calls Hazard’s book “a winner for any college student” that is a “beautifully written joy to read.”
Laurie has won numerous awards for her work with first-year students and their parents, including the National Resource Center for The First-Year Experience and Students in Transition’s Outstanding First-Year Student Advocate; the Learning Assistance Association of New England’s Outstanding Research and Publication Award; and the Learning Assistance Association of New England’s Outstanding Service to Developmental Students Award. Most recently, Laurie received the CRLA Northeast’s Outstanding Service to the Field of Developmental Education Award.
Laurie’s expertise has garnered national media attention. She has been interviewed and cited as an expert in the Associated Press, Seventeen Magazine, The Chicago Tribune, The Times Picayune, The San Diego Tribune, and Student Affairs Leader. Laurie has also been a guest columnist for the Washington Post’s Answer Sheet: A School Survival Guide for Parents (And Everyone Else). Her articles offer concrete advice for parents of new college students: “How to Help Your Child Adapt to College Life,” and “Parents Should Leave their Kids Alone at College.” Most recently, Laurie has written a book with co-presenter Stephanie Carter, called Your Freshman Is Off To College (2016).
Bio current as of January 2022
Stephanie Carter is the Director of the Academic Center for Excellence at Bryant University in Smithfield, Rhode Island. She is a respected leader in the field of student success and learning assistance. As an award-winning educator with over twenty-five years of experience helping college students mediate the challenges of the higher education environment, she has gained expertise working with first years and their parents to insure a healthy transition from high school to college. Stephanie has extensive experience, as both a scholar and practitioner, supporting first-year college students in classrooms, residence halls, writing centers and learning centers. Stephanie earned her master’s degree in English at the University of Rhode Island. At Bryant University, Stephanie has developed curriculum for writing courses and teaches composition. She is a nationally recognized expert in the areas of plagiarism and academic integrity, as well as information literacy in the writing classroom. She is often an invited presenter for professional and faculty development in-services as well as for student programs.
Bio current as of January 2022.
What is a live webinar?
A live webinar is an interactive online training. Participants can communicate with the presenter(s) during the event via a live chat feature.
What is an on-demand webinar and how do I get access?
An on-demand training is a previously recorded webinar available online which can be accessed anytime, anywhere. You can register for on-demand trainings at any time. You will receive the recording the week following the live event. The recording is a campus access license and is available for one year from the purchase date.
How long are the webinars?
Webinars range from 60-90 minutes. Please check each training for the exact timeframe.
How do I register?
You can register online by adding the product to your shopping cart. You can also register by fax (1-866-508-0860), email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or mail by completing the paper-based registration form. The paper-based registration form is unique to each webinar and is available on each product page.
How do I request accommodations?
For captioning or any other accommodation, please contact us 7 days in advance. 303.955.0415 or email@example.com
When do I register?
You can register at any time, even the morning of the live event. If the live event has occurred, you can purchase the on-demand training (recording) of the session. You can register for on-demand trainings at any time.
What is the process for attending a live event?
The process is as follows:
- You will receive the login information within 5 minutes of registering for the webinar.
- The presentation materials will be available before the live event. Please check the link in the login information email.
- On the day of the live event, participants can log in 30 minutes prior to the start time. Once logged in, participants can see the PowerPoint slides, ask questions, and make comments via the chat feature.
- We email participants a link to the recording the Monday following the live event.
Is there a recording available? And how long is the recording good for?
Approximately one week after the conclusion of the live webinar, participants will receive a link to the recording which can be forwarded to all faculty and staff for viewing anytime, anywhere. The recording is a campus access license and is available for one year from the date of the live event.
What are the technical requirements?
Innovative Educators uses Zoom as its web conferencing provider. If you have not previously attended a Zoom event, please Join a Test Meeting to make sure your computer is compatible with Zoom. Be sure to complete this test prior to the live event.
What are the benefits of online training?
Cost-Effective: No travel required. Online Training is an innovative way to provide your entire faculty and staff with a variety of professional development opportunities for one low price! The more you train the more you save, as the registration fee is per institution, not per person.
Easy: You will receive a detailed list of instructions via email. If you run into any problems, we're always here to help.
Practical: Our training sessions focus on the most critical and relevant issues facing educators today. Our primary goal is to provide participants with the information, training, and skills necessary to immediately implement positive change at their institutions.
Top-Notch Presenters: Our presenters are subject matter experts and recognized in their field.
Value Added: When you purchase an online training, you also receive a campus-wide access license to the recording for one year. Faculty and staff can access it as often as they like from any location.
Satisfaction Guaranteed: Our online training is 100% guaranteed. If you are not satisfied, we will give you a credit for a future webinar or on-demand training of your choice (of equal or lesser value).
How can we use these trainings?
- Live: Promote and attend a live webinar and debrief immediately following.
- Hybrid: Distribute the recording to all faculty and staff at the beginning of each month and plan a discussion session at the end of the month to determine how you will implement the strategies presented.
- On-Demand: Distribute the recording to faculty and staff so they can watch anytime, anywhere.
In-Service Training: Plan an in-service around a live webinar or schedule a day and time to show the recording in a lecture hall or large conference room and invite faculty and staff to brainstorm and discuss implications for your institution.
Online Faculty and Staff Learning Communities: Distribute the recording to faculty and staff so they can watch anytime, anywhere.
Staff Recognition: Develop a program around the webinar with monthly themes and recognize the staff members that implement the best idea related to the theme.
Team-Building: Utilize these trainings to develop cross-functional and cross-discipline teams to foster collegiality.
New Employee Training: Include the online training as part of your new employee training program to ensure consistency.
Implementation and Follow-Up: Use the guide and evaluation materials provided by Innovative Educators to plan, implement, and track your progress.
How much does a live webinar or on-demand training cost?
1 Training (Live Webinar or On-Demand Training) - $425 Unlimited connections, campus-wide access license to the recording for one year.
- 2 Trainings - $645 Unlimited connections, recording for one year (campus-wide access)
- 3 Trainings - $900 Unlimited connections, recording for one year (campus-wide access)
- 6 Trainings - $1500 Unlimited connections, recording for one year (campus-wide access)
What type of payment do you accept?
You may pay with a credit card (American Express, MasterCard or Visa), PO, check, or electronic transfer of funds. You can email us (firstname.lastname@example.org), call 303-955-0415 or fax 1.866.508.0860.
Payment terms are net 90 days.
Where do I send payment?
Please mail checks and POs to our mailing address:
3277 Carbon Place
Boulder, CO 80301
What is your cancellation policy?
Below is a breakdown of our cancellation policy.
- 30 days prior: Full refund
- 14 days prior: $100 processing fee
- Fewer than 14 days: Credit toward another IE event. Please note that registration for the live webinar includes access to the recording which you can share, as it is a campus access license. We email the recording the Monday following the live event. For questions, please email us or call 303.955.0415.
What is included in the Go2K Membership?
All live Webinars and over 100 pre-selected, on-demand webinars.
Is the price for Go2K a one-time fee or an annual fee?
The purchase price for Go2K is an annual fee, which includes access to over 150 live events/year and 100+ on-demand trainings.
Are their certificates of completion available?
Your on-demand portal includes automated certificates of completion and can be printed or downloaded after completing the training. The live events do not include automated certificates. However, we can provide you a fillable certificate PDF to share with faculty and staff.
What kind of reporting is included?
For your on-demand trainings, we provide you with a monthly usage report as well as an evaluation report. Upon request, we can provide annual or bi-annual registration reports for any live orders.
How do I register for a live event?
After you purchase your Go2K membership, we will email you an institution specific password that can be used to register for any live event.
Can we share the registration coupon code with everyone at our institution?
Yes. Feel free to share the coupon code with anyone at your institution. Please do not share with anyone outside your institution. We recommend registering 24 hours in advance of the live event.
How do I access my on-demand trainings?
After you purchase your Go2K membership, we will email you a link to your on-demand portal that you can share with your entire institution.
How are colleges using Go2O?
Colleges are using Go2O in a variety of ways:
- As a stand-alone online orientation
- As an online complement to their face-to-face orientation
- As an online orientation for their distance learners
- As an online enrollment checklist to ease the registration process
Does purchase of Go2O include completion reports?
You can receive completion reports two ways:
- Automated delivery (ftp dump, email, webhook)
- Instant access via administrative login
What is the registration checklist and is it included in my Go2O purchase?
The online enrollment checklist is designed to walk students through your enrollment process ensuring they make it to the first day of class! The registration checklist is one of the modules available with Go2O. Based on your purchasing level, the module can be a selection or will be included.
Are there various pricing options available for Go2O?
Yes, we have 4 pricing levels available.
Is Go2O ADA compliant and responsive?
Go2O is ADA accessible and fully responsive on any mobile device, tablet, or computer.
How are colleges using SL?
- Career Readiness
- Learning Centers
- TRIO Programs
- IX Training
- IV Grants
- With Advisors & Counselors
- Extended Learning Institute
- FYE & Student Success Courses
- Online FYE Seminar
- Extra Credit
- Financial Aid Appeal
- College Level English Requirement
- Supplemental Instruction
- Target Online Learners
- Student Disability Office
- Writing Center
- Can be required by faculty
- Student Success Course
Which workshops are your top rated?
We take quality seriously, and so all of our workshops are top notch in terms of content and look. However, if we know how you plan to use StudentLingo (FYE, Retention, Probation, TRIO, etc.), we can make workshop recommendations.
Funding is a little tight, how many workshops can I get for $XX?
You can buy the entire StudentLingo package (50 workshops) or we offer several a la carte options. Unlike a lot of other software companies, we don’t charge per user, so we can work with any budget. We recommend talking to other departments on campus to increase your purchasing power and to share the cost. Also, we do have a pay model whereby students pay directly. If you are interested in learning more about this option, give us a call.
Is there an admin view?
This is a feature of our platform, but comes at an additional cost. With the admin view, you get access to more advanced reporting, and you have it in real time. With the standard membership, you get monthly reports.
How have other schools leveraged reporting?
- One of our partners, College of Southern Nevada, used StudentLingo to measure learning outcomes. in a study, one class had access to StudentLingo and the other cohort did not. 92% of the cohort with access to StudentLingo earned a whole letter grade higher than the cohort without StudentLingo.
- A lot of our partners use the data to justify funding for grants, operating dollars, or for new program development.
- The evaluation data is particularly useful in identifying what type of learning students prefer and the qualitative takeaways from viewing the workshop.
- Some of our partners use the data to connect with their student information system, like Banner or Peoplesoft.
- I think a great way to get started on how you want to use the data is to ask yourself some questions:
- How will I know if StudentLingo was successful?
- What do I hope students will gain from access to StudentLingo?
- What data is important for me to know in order to show that StudentLingo is a worthwhile purchase?
What is TutorLingo?
TutorLingo is a series of 9 online training modules that prepare tutors by providing the basic skills necessary to support their peers in becoming more independent and strategic learners.
Should the TutorLingo trainings be viewed in any particular order?
No, each training is a stand-alone workshop, and they can be viewed in any order.
What is the CRLA?
The CRLA is a group of student-oriented professionals active in the fields of reading, learning assistance, developmental education, tutoring, and mentoring. In 1989, the CRLA created a training program that is considered ‘best-practice’ for tutor training. A fews years ago, Innovative Educators partnered with the CRLA to create supplementary training modules. Our training supports learning centers in achieving level 1 certification through CRLA.
Do CRLA members receive a discount on TutorLingo?
Yes. CRLA members receive a 10% discount on TutorLingo.
Is there an admin view?
Yes. The admin view is an upgrade and costs $500, but gives you the ability to access completion data more efficiently and in real time. If you don’t want the admin view, we provide monthly usage reports.
What is ParentLingo?
ParentLingo is a go-to resource that institutions can easily share with parents to encourage student independence, growth & success. ParentLingo is a shared resource that recognizes and includes parents as partners in the educational process.
What is the cost?
Please contact us for pricing information. Email email@example.com or 303-955-0415.
What features are included?
- 8 Targeted Modules For Parents Branding (Logo On Every Page)
- ADA Compliant & Responsive Design
- Promotional Materials
- Registration (First Name, Last Name, Email)
- 8 Targeted Modules For Parents Branding (Logo On Every Page)
- ADA Compliant & Responsive Design
- Promotional Materials
- Completion Reports & Standard Evaluations
- Custom Branding (Logo & Institutional Photos)
- 3 Additional Registration Points
- Add & Edit Custom Content
- Customizable Evaluations & Surveys Advanced Reporting
- Designated Instructional Designer
- Flexible Pricing (College Payment Option Or Parents Pay Directly)