Despite the importance of higher education, only 58% of students achieve graduation within six years. The challenge for educational institutions is to enhance support mechanisms that facilitate degree completion. Insights from Dr. Aaron Hughey of Western Kentucky University highlight vital factors contributing to student attrition and offer actionable strategies to bolster persistence and graduation rates. Understanding and addressing these hurdles are crucial for fostering an environment conducive to student success.
Key Factors Influencing Student Dropout:
1. Family Dynamics: It is essential to recognize the significant impact of family on student decisions. Whether due to financial support, emotional obligations, or other family-related responsibilities, these factors can lead to student withdrawal. Institutions can mitigate this by engaging families through support networks and collaboration, ensuring a supportive backdrop for students.
2. Financial Constraints: Escalating costs and rising living expenses in higher education present significant barriers. Many students balance education with employment, often leading to overwhelming stress and potential dropouts. Proactive financial counseling and accessible support resources on campus are vital in navigating these challenges.
3. Academic Preparedness: Many students need help with college-level coursework due to varying preparatory backgrounds. To bridge this gap and ensure academic success, institutions must offer comprehensive support systems, including tutoring and peer mentoring, to transition from remedial courses.
4. Mental Health: The prevalence of mental health issues among college students underscores the need for accessible mental health services and a campus culture that prioritizes wellness. Training faculty and staff to recognize and address mental health concerns is critical in supporting student well-being.
10 Strategies to Enhance Student Persistence:
1. Implement Early Warning Systems: Identify at-risk students early to provide timely interventions, enhancing their chances of success.
2. Develop A Campus-Wide Retention Plan: A unified approach involving all faculty and staff in retention efforts is crucial for creating a supportive educational environment.
3. Address Homesickness & Social Integration: Fostering a sense of community and belonging in residential settings can significantly impact student retention.
4. Evaluate & Support Academic Readiness: Institutions must assess incoming students' preparedness and offer structured support to ensure they can meet academic demands.
5. Promote Social Integration: Creating and assessing opportunities for student engagement in campus life can enhance their college experience and commitment to completing their education.
6. Review & Amend Policies: Ensure institutional policies support student success rather than create unnecessary obstacles.
7. Foster Motivation & Positive Attitudes: Understanding student motivations and fostering a positive outlook towards education can enhance engagement and persistence.
8. Train Staff to Refer to Support Services: Equipping all campus employees with the knowledge to guide students to available resources is essential for comprehensive support.
9. Incorporate Technology in Retention Strategies: Leveraging digital tools can aid in creating an engaging and supportive learning environment.
10. Strengthen Student Engagement: Active efforts to engage students in campus life can build a sense of community and belonging, which is crucial for retention.
By focusing on these areas, educational institutions can create a nurturing environment that addresses the reasons behind student dropout and actively promotes student persistence and success. Institutions are encouraged to adopt these strategies to demonstrate their commitment to building meaningful relationships with students and fostering an environment where every student can succeed.
For further insights and detailed strategies, Dr. Aaron Hughey's seminar, "The Top 10 Reasons Students Drop Out and How We Can Keep Them Enrolled," is an invaluable resource for professionals dedicated to student retention and success.
For nearly 20 years, Innovative Educators has assisted college leaders to build foundations of success for their students. Institutions have seen student engagement and retention increase as a result of utilizing Go2Orientation, OnlineLingo and StudentLingo to onboard new students. Grounded in best practices for online learning, Innovative Educators student support tools are engaging, interactive, and community-building. Go2Orientation, OnlineLingo and StudentLingo together create a powerful online resource center providing support to students throughout their academic journey.
By Meg Foster
Online Learning & Design Specialist - Consultant
January 31, 2024