Tracking & Retaining Commuter Students: How To Engage Your Off-Campus Population
If you are like many college campuses, you have probably noticed that your commuter student population has grown in recent years. Trends indicate that increasing numbers of students are commuting to the college campus. Whether it is due to the cost of living on campus, family responsibilities, work responsibilities or life experiences, some students simply choose to experience college life as a commuter.
Serving the needs of commuter students has been a challenge for many higher education institutions. Todays commuter population is more diverse than in the past and it spans transfers, non-traditional students, returning veterans, students who are parents, and graduate students.
Whether you are looking for ways to enhance what you already offer your commuter students, or are looking for steps to take in facilitating an engaging campus environment for commuters, this webinar will cover it all. We will provide you with adaptable and transferable ideas and strategies to consider no matter where you are in serving your commuter students.
- Explore the definitions of commuter student and how a definition, or lack of one, can drive or hold up progress
- Learn specific strategies and methods on how to move from a programming model for commuters to an engagement model for the commuter student population on their campus
- Learn specific strategies on how to secure financial support through revenue generating programs and services designed to meet the needs of off-campus and commuter students
- 2-year institutions & 4-year institutions
- Student Services/Affairs
- Retention Specialist
- Student Life
- Transfer Services
"What immediately comes to mind when you read the word commuter? If you are like 98% of the public, you visualize a car, the train, public transportation, something involving commuting to and from a destination. At my home institution the term commuter has a specific and often counter intuitive definition that both helps and hinders serving off-campus and commuting students. Why is this important? This webinar will share insights as to why."
Dr. Amy Golden has worked in Student Affairs at three of the largest state institutions across the country over the last twenty years; The University of Texas at Austin, The Ohio State University before returning to her alma-mater, Arizona State University in 2006. Currently, Dr. Golden serves as the Assistant Dean of Students, overseeing the Student & Cultural Engagement office which includes International Student Engagement, as well as the Obama Scholars Program, the Counsel of Religious Advisors (CORA), and has previously held the roles of Director for Off-Campus & Commuter Student Services and Director for Residence Education at ASU. Dr. Golden’s research centers around First-Generation College Students, Latina persistence, the Sophomore Year Experience, Mentoring and Student Engagement. Dr. Golden is an Adjunct-Faculty member in the Higher and Post-secondary Masters program at ASU, a reviewer for the Current Issues in Education journal and a recent graduate of the Anti-Defamation Leagues (ADL) national Glass Leadership program.
What is a live webinar?
A live webinar is an interactive online training. Participants can communicate with the presenter(s) during the event via a live chat feature.
What is an on-demand webinar and how do I get access?
An on-demand training is a previously recorded webinar available online for faculty and staff to access anytime, anywhere. You can register for on-demand trainings at any time. You typically receive a link to the recording and handouts within 24 hours of registration.
How long are the webinars?
Webinars can be 30, 45, 60, 90 or 120 minutes. Please check the webinar page for the exact timeframe.
How do I register?
You can register online by adding the product to your shopping cart. You can also register by fax, email (email@example.com), or mail by completing the paper-based registration form. The paper-based registration form is unique to each webinar and is available on each product page.
How do I request accommodations?
For captioning, please contact us 7 days in advance. 303.955.0415 or firstname.lastname@example.org
When do I register?
You can register at any time, even the morning of the live event. If the live event has occurred, you can purchase the on-demand training (recording) of the session. You can register for on-demand trainings at any time.
What is the process for attending a live event?
The process is as follows:
- We email participants login instructions approximately 1 week prior to the live event.
- We email participants a link to the PowerPoint (.pdf) and any additional handouts approximately 1-2 days prior to the live event. Participants can make copies for attendees if desired.
- We give a courtesy reminder call the day before the live event.
- On the day of the live event, participants can login 30 minutes prior to the start time. Once logged in, participants can see the PowerPoint slides, ask questions, and make comments via the chat feature.
- We email participants a link to the recording the Monday following the live event.
Is there a recording available? And how long is the recording good for?
Approximately one week after the conclusion of the live webinar, participants will receive a link to the recording which can be forwarded to all faculty and staff for viewing anytime, anywhere. The recording is a campus access license and is available for one year from the date of the live event.
What are the technical requirements?
Innovative Educators uses WebEx as its web conferencing provider. If you have not previously attended a WebEx event, please Join a Test Meeting to make sure your computer is compatible with WebEx. Be sure to complete this test prior to the live event. System Requirements - Webex System Requirements
What equipment is required?
For individual or small group viewing, a computer with a reliable Internet connection and audio capabilities are all that’s needed. For large group presentations, we recommend a computer with a reliable Internet connection and speakers, as well as an LCD projector. Participants can call in via phone if they are having trouble retrieving the audio over the computer. Please be sure to reserve a meeting room prior to the live event that can accommodate these requirements as well as your attendees. You should reserve the room 30 minutes prior to the webinar start time and you may want to allow at least 15-30 minutes after the webinar for discussion.
How much does a live webinar or on-demand training cost?
1 Training (Live Webinar or On-Demand Training) - $425 Unlimited connections, campus-wide access license to the recording for one year.
- 2 Trainings - $645 Unlimited connections, recording for one year (campus-wide access)
- 3 Trainings - $900 Unlimited connections, recording for one year (campus-wide access)
- 6 Trainings - $1500 Unlimited connections, recording for one year (campus-wide access)
What type of payment do you accept?
You may pay with a credit card (MasterCard or Visa), PO, check, or electronic transfer of funds. You can email us (email@example.com), call 303-955-0415 or fax 1.866.508.0860.
Where do I send payment?
Please mail checks and POs to our mailing address:
3277 Carbon Place
Boulder, CO 80301
What is your cancellation policy?
Below is a breakdown of our cancellation policy.
- 30 days prior: Full refund
- 14 days prior: $100 processing fee
- Fewer than 14 days: Credit toward another IE event. Please note that registration for the live webinar includes access to the recording which you can share, as it is a campus access license. We email the recording the Monday following the live event. For questions, please email us or call 303.955.0415.
What are the benefits of online training?
Cost-Effective: No travel required. Online Training is an innovative way to provide your entire faculty and staff with a variety of professional development opportunities for one low price! The more you train the more you save, as the registration fee is per institution, not per person.
Easy: You will receive a detailed list of instructions via email. If you run into any problems, we're always here to help.
Practical: Our training sessions focus on the most critical and relevant issues facing educators today. Our primary goal is to provide participants with the information, training, and skills necessary to immediately implement positive change at their institutions.
Top-Notch Presenters: Our presenters are subject matter experts and recognized in their field.
Value Added: When you purchase an online training, you also receive a campus-wide access license to the recording for one year. Faculty and staff can access it as often as they like from any location.
Satisfaction Guaranteed: Our online training is 100% guaranteed. If you are not satisfied, we will give you a credit for a future webinar or on-demand training of your choice (of equal or lesser value).
How can we use these trainings?
- Live: Promote and attend a live webinar and debrief immediately following.
- Hybrid: Distribute the recording to all faculty and staff at the beginning of each month and plan a discussion session at the end of the month to determine how you will implement the strategies presented.
- On-Demand: Distribute the recording to faculty and staff so they can watch anytime, anywhere.
In-Service Training: Plan an in-service around a live webinar or schedule a day and time to show the recording in a lecture hall or large conference room and invite faculty and staff to brainstorm and discuss implications for your institution.
Online Faculty and Staff Learning Communities: Distribute the recording to faculty and staff so they can watch anytime, anywhere.
Staff Recognition: Develop a program around the webinar with monthly themes and recognize the staff members that implement the best idea related to the theme.
Team-Building: Utilize these trainings to develop cross-functional and cross-discipline teams to foster collegiality.
New Employee Training: Include the online training as part of your new employee training program to ensure consistency.
Implementation and Follow-Up: Use the guide and evaluation materials provided by Innovative Educators to plan, implement, and track your progress.