Helping Student-Athletes Succeed: 7 Key Reading Elements To Enhance Your Tutoring Program
University student-athletes are a unique student group who can benefit from a reading enhancement program, which can be utilized as a stand alone program or as part of a tutoring program. Although many students come to college unprepared, student-athletes often come to college under lower admission standards than the majority of other college students. Student-athletes then face the normal psychological and academic obstacles of adjusting to college life in addition to the extra demands of practice time, travel time, and media and fan scrutiny. Although there are many benefits to being a student-athlete, the pressures can weigh heavy and many student-athletes struggle to keep pace with the heavy reading load in college.
This webinar will outline seven keys to enhancing reading skills, and specifically how this was successfully implemented in a Division I University Athletics Department Reading Enhancement Program. We will discuss the unique academic needs of student-athletes and learn how reading specialists can achieve impressive results when working with collegiate athletics programs, as well as how educators and parents of younger students can begin to improve reading skills now to reverse the trend. Participants will learn the tools necessary to develop a successful reading program for student-athletes or for any other underprepared student group.
- Review the seven keys to reading success (assessment, engagement, decoding, comprehension, fluency, documentation, application)
- Discuss how to implement the above seven keys in any reading program
- Learn how to develop a reading program based on the above seven keys
- Learn how to incorporate a reading program into any tutoring program
- 2-year & 4-year institutions
- Academic Affairs/Instruction
- Student Services/Affairs
- Faculty (full and part-time)
- Athletic Programs
- Tutoring Programs
- Academic Advisors for Student-Athletes
- First Year Experience
- Retention Specialist
- Anyone interested in supporting students and student-athletes through an enhanced reading program
"So often we find that student-athletes have been ‘passed through’ the educational system and are unprepared for college. Our goal is to EDUCATE student-athletes so they are ABLE. Not just for athletics, but for academics and life."
Meredith Breitling Janecek is passionate about helping students of all ages improve literacy skills. In 2009, she established the Reading Enhancement Program in the Texas A&M University Athletics Department within the Center for Student-Athlete Services which grew college athletes’ reading skills by an average of 2.5 grade levels per semester. She found that students could go from having very little reading success to independently reading college-level texts in only a few semesters of intervention.
In addition to teaching a developmental integrated reading and writing course at Wharton County Junior College, Meredith currently works as a consultant, helping other universities develop similar programs which fit their resources and needs, through Care Collaborations (www.carecollaborations.com) and educating parents of younger children on building their children’s reading skills (www.growstrongreaders.com) through e-courses and consultations.
A 2007 graduate of Texas A&M with a bachelor's degree in interdisciplinary studies, Meredith also earned a master's degree in curriculum and instruction from Texas A&M in 2010. Janecek has reading intervention experience in elementary and high school public schools in addition to her experience as an adjunct professor in the College of Education and Reading Specialist at Texas A&M. She is also a dyslexia interventionist. She lives near Houston, Texas with her husband and two daughters.
What is a live webinar?
A live webinar is an interactive online training. Participants can communicate with the presenter(s) during the event via a live chat feature.
What is an on-demand webinar and how do I get access?
An on-demand training is a previously recorded webinar available online for faculty and staff to access anytime, anywhere. You can register for on-demand trainings at any time. You typically receive a link to the recording and handouts within 24 hours of registration.
How long are the webinars?
Webinars can be 30, 45, 60, 90 or 120 minutes. Please check the webinar page for the exact timeframe.
How do I register?
You can register online by adding the product to your shopping cart. You can also register by fax, email (email@example.com), or mail by completing the paper-based registration form. The paper-based registration form is unique to each webinar and is available on each product page.
How do I request accommodations?
For captioning, please contact us 7 days in advance. 303.955.0415 or firstname.lastname@example.org
When do I register?
You can register at any time, even the morning of the live event. If the live event has occurred, you can purchase the on-demand training (recording) of the session. You can register for on-demand trainings at any time.
What is the process for attending a live event?
The process is as follows:
- We email participants login instructions approximately 1 week prior to the live event.
- We email participants a link to the PowerPoint (.pdf) and any additional handouts approximately 1-2 days prior to the live event. Participants can make copies for attendees if desired.
- We give a courtesy reminder call the day before the live event.
- On the day of the live event, participants can login 30 minutes prior to the start time. Once logged in, participants can see the PowerPoint slides, ask questions, and make comments via the chat feature.
- We email participants a link to the recording the Monday following the live event.
Is there a recording available? And how long is the recording good for?
Approximately one week after the conclusion of the live webinar, participants will receive a link to the recording which can be forwarded to all faculty and staff for viewing anytime, anywhere. The recording is a campus access license and is available for one year from the date of the live event.
What are the technical requirements?
Innovative Educators uses WebEx as its web conferencing provider. If you have not previously attended a WebEx event, please Join a Test Meeting to make sure your computer is compatible with WebEx. Be sure to complete this test prior to the live event. System Requirements - Webex System Requirements
What equipment is required?
For individual or small group viewing, a computer with a reliable Internet connection and audio capabilities are all that’s needed. For large group presentations, we recommend a computer with a reliable Internet connection and speakers, as well as an LCD projector. Participants can call in via phone if they are having trouble retrieving the audio over the computer. Please be sure to reserve a meeting room prior to the live event that can accommodate these requirements as well as your attendees. You should reserve the room 30 minutes prior to the webinar start time and you may want to allow at least 15-30 minutes after the webinar for discussion.
How much does a live webinar or on-demand training cost?
1 Training (Live Webinar or On-Demand Training) - $425 Unlimited connections, campus-wide access license to the recording for one year.
- 2 Trainings - $645 Unlimited connections, recording for one year (campus-wide access)
- 3 Trainings - $900 Unlimited connections, recording for one year (campus-wide access)
- 6 Trainings - $1500 Unlimited connections, recording for one year (campus-wide access)
What type of payment do you accept?
You may pay with a credit card (MasterCard or Visa), PO, check, or electronic transfer of funds. You can email us (email@example.com), call 303-955-0415 or fax 1.866.508.0860.
Where do I send payment?
Please mail checks and POs to our mailing address:
3277 Carbon Place
Boulder, CO 80301
What is your cancellation policy?
Below is a breakdown of our cancellation policy.
- 30 days prior: Full refund
- 14 days prior: $100 processing fee
- Fewer than 14 days: Credit toward another IE event. Please note that registration for the live webinar includes access to the recording which you can share, as it is a campus access license. We email the recording the Monday following the live event. For questions, please email us or call 303.955.0415.
What are the benefits of online training?
Cost-Effective: No travel required. Online Training is an innovative way to provide your entire faculty and staff with a variety of professional development opportunities for one low price! The more you train the more you save, as the registration fee is per institution, not per person.
Easy: You will receive a detailed list of instructions via email. If you run into any problems, we're always here to help.
Practical: Our training sessions focus on the most critical and relevant issues facing educators today. Our primary goal is to provide participants with the information, training, and skills necessary to immediately implement positive change at their institutions.
Top-Notch Presenters: Our presenters are subject matter experts and recognized in their field.
Value Added: When you purchase an online training, you also receive a campus-wide access license to the recording for one year. Faculty and staff can access it as often as they like from any location.
Satisfaction Guaranteed: Our online training is 100% guaranteed. If you are not satisfied, we will give you a credit for a future webinar or on-demand training of your choice (of equal or lesser value).
How can we use these trainings?
- Live: Promote and attend a live webinar and debrief immediately following.
- Hybrid: Distribute the recording to all faculty and staff at the beginning of each month and plan a discussion session at the end of the month to determine how you will implement the strategies presented.
- On-Demand: Distribute the recording to faculty and staff so they can watch anytime, anywhere.
In-Service Training: Plan an in-service around a live webinar or schedule a day and time to show the recording in a lecture hall or large conference room and invite faculty and staff to brainstorm and discuss implications for your institution.
Online Faculty and Staff Learning Communities: Distribute the recording to faculty and staff so they can watch anytime, anywhere.
Staff Recognition: Develop a program around the webinar with monthly themes and recognize the staff members that implement the best idea related to the theme.
Team-Building: Utilize these trainings to develop cross-functional and cross-discipline teams to foster collegiality.
New Employee Training: Include the online training as part of your new employee training program to ensure consistency.
Implementation and Follow-Up: Use the guide and evaluation materials provided by Innovative Educators to plan, implement, and track your progress.