Active Learning: Innovative Strategies That Will Dramatically Improve Student Engagement
We all want to help our students learn. What are some techniques that will hook or bring in your learners and keep them motivated? How can you add more spice to your teaching repertoire? Considering how diverse our students, their interests, backgrounds and preferred learning styles are, no one technique will be successful all of the time.
Have you ever thrown a snowball in class or run a whole class based on students questions? Join Dr. Alice Cassidy and discover innovative techniques and strategies you can use right away to encourage students to engage with the course material and objectives. Participants will have the opportunity to share examples of their own best practices with faculty from institutions around the country.
- Identify a minimum of ten innovative techniques that will actively engage your students
- Share your own best practices with faculty from around the country
- Discover at least three techniques to try in your next class
- Dramatically improve student engagement and the overall learning environment in your classroom
- 2-year & 4-year institutions
- Academic Affairs/Instruction
- Faculty (full and part-time)
- Dean of Instruction
- Department Chairs
- Anyone interested in teaching & learning
"My philosophy of effective learning is that as teachers, we need to focus throughout class on ways to actively engage our students, whether they are working interactively or in other ways to reflect on their learning and spend time on task. It is not what we teach that matters the most; it is what students learn."
Dr. Alice Cassidy is a facilitator, educational developer and science educator with biology and zoology degrees from the University of British Columbia (UBC), McGill University and the University of Victoria in Canada. She currently designs and coordinates first year courses in two faculties: Science and Land and Food Systems. She has designed and taught upper level and graduate courses in Science and Education at UBC.
For the past 30 years, she has designed and led workshops on teaching and learning, as well as natural history and sustainability education for post-secondary institutions, organizations and community groups both face to face and online in British Columbia, Ontario, the US and China. Additionally, she designs, directs and facilitates national and local educational programs.
Her areas of focus include active and participatory learning, professional development for organizations, instructional and narrative skills, and students as active collaborators in the scholarship of teaching and learning.
What is a live webinar?
A live webinar is an interactive online training. Participants can communicate with the presenter(s) during the event via a live chat feature.
What is an on-demand webinar and how do I get access?
An on-demand training is a previously recorded webinar available online for faculty and staff to access anytime, anywhere. You can register for on-demand trainings at any time. You typically receive a link to the recording and handouts within 24 hours of registration.
How long are the webinars?
Webinars can be 30, 45, 60, 90 or 120 minutes. Please check the webinar page for the exact timeframe.
How do I register?
You can register online by adding the product to your shopping cart. You can also register by fax, email (email@example.com), or mail by completing the paper-based registration form. The paper-based registration form is unique to each webinar and is available on each product page.
How do I request accommodations?
For captioning, please contact us 7 days in advance. 303.955.0415 or firstname.lastname@example.org
When do I register?
You can register at any time, even the morning of the live event. If the live event has occurred, you can purchase the on-demand training (recording) of the session. You can register for on-demand trainings at any time.
What is the process for attending a live event?
The process is as follows:
- We email participants login instructions approximately 1 week prior to the live event.
- We email participants a link to the PowerPoint (.pdf) and any additional handouts approximately 1-2 days prior to the live event. Participants can make copies for attendees if desired.
- We give a courtesy reminder call the day before the live event.
- On the day of the live event, participants can login 30 minutes prior to the start time. Once logged in, participants can see the PowerPoint slides, ask questions, and make comments via the chat feature.
- We email participants a link to the recording the Monday following the live event.
Is there a recording available? And how long is the recording good for?
Approximately one week after the conclusion of the live webinar, participants will receive a link to the recording which can be forwarded to all faculty and staff for viewing anytime, anywhere. The recording is a campus access license and is available for one year from the date of the live event.
What are the technical requirements?
Innovative Educators uses WebEx as its web conferencing provider. If you have not previously attended a WebEx event, please Join a Test Meeting to make sure your computer is compatible with WebEx. Be sure to complete this test prior to the live event. System Requirements - Webex System Requirements
What equipment is required?
For individual or small group viewing, a computer with a reliable Internet connection and audio capabilities are all that’s needed. For large group presentations, we recommend a computer with a reliable Internet connection and speakers, as well as an LCD projector. Participants can call in via phone if they are having trouble retrieving the audio over the computer. Please be sure to reserve a meeting room prior to the live event that can accommodate these requirements as well as your attendees. You should reserve the room 30 minutes prior to the webinar start time and you may want to allow at least 15-30 minutes after the webinar for discussion.
How much does a live webinar or on-demand training cost?
1 Training (Live Webinar or On-Demand Training) - $425 Unlimited connections, campus-wide access license to the recording for one year.
- 2 Trainings - $645 Unlimited connections, recording for one year (campus-wide access)
- 3 Trainings - $900 Unlimited connections, recording for one year (campus-wide access)
- 6 Trainings - $1500 Unlimited connections, recording for one year (campus-wide access)
What type of payment do you accept?
You may pay with a credit card (MasterCard or Visa), PO, check, or electronic transfer of funds. You can email us (email@example.com), call 303-955-0415 or fax 1.866.508.0860.
Where do I send payment?
Please mail checks and POs to our mailing address:
3277 Carbon Place
Boulder, CO 80301
What is your cancellation policy?
Below is a breakdown of our cancellation policy.
- 30 days prior: Full refund
- 14 days prior: $100 processing fee
- Fewer than 14 days: Credit toward another IE event. Please note that registration for the live webinar includes access to the recording which you can share, as it is a campus access license. We email the recording the Monday following the live event. For questions, please email us or call 303.955.0415.
What are the benefits of online training?
Cost-Effective: No travel required. Online Training is an innovative way to provide your entire faculty and staff with a variety of professional development opportunities for one low price! The more you train the more you save, as the registration fee is per institution, not per person.
Easy: You will receive a detailed list of instructions via email. If you run into any problems, we're always here to help.
Practical: Our training sessions focus on the most critical and relevant issues facing educators today. Our primary goal is to provide participants with the information, training, and skills necessary to immediately implement positive change at their institutions.
Top-Notch Presenters: Our presenters are subject matter experts and recognized in their field.
Value Added: When you purchase an online training, you also receive a campus-wide access license to the recording for one year. Faculty and staff can access it as often as they like from any location.
Satisfaction Guaranteed: Our online training is 100% guaranteed. If you are not satisfied, we will give you a credit for a future webinar or on-demand training of your choice (of equal or lesser value).
How can we use these trainings?
- Live: Promote and attend a live webinar and debrief immediately following.
- Hybrid: Distribute the recording to all faculty and staff at the beginning of each month and plan a discussion session at the end of the month to determine how you will implement the strategies presented.
- On-Demand: Distribute the recording to faculty and staff so they can watch anytime, anywhere.
In-Service Training: Plan an in-service around a live webinar or schedule a day and time to show the recording in a lecture hall or large conference room and invite faculty and staff to brainstorm and discuss implications for your institution.
Online Faculty and Staff Learning Communities: Distribute the recording to faculty and staff so they can watch anytime, anywhere.
Staff Recognition: Develop a program around the webinar with monthly themes and recognize the staff members that implement the best idea related to the theme.
Team-Building: Utilize these trainings to develop cross-functional and cross-discipline teams to foster collegiality.
New Employee Training: Include the online training as part of your new employee training program to ensure consistency.
Implementation and Follow-Up: Use the guide and evaluation materials provided by Innovative Educators to plan, implement, and track your progress.