Student Motivation: Practical Strategies That Will Increase Engagement, Learning & Persistence
If we want our students to be actively involved in our instructional strategies, then we must help them find the pathways and agency to achieve their goals. To do this we need to identify and re-examine “best practices” we have been using. What strategies remain relevant for our students? What signals do we see that encourage us to explore new “promising practices”? This webinar will provide context and strategies for you and your colleagues to consider and develop.
Student and life success strategies need to move beyond academic exercises to practical and relevant applications. Connecting strategies to basic success principles can help your students focus on their sense of purpose, reflect on and strengthen their internal locus of control, and build connections that will help them socially, academically, physically, and emotionally.
“If only my students were motivated to learn!” Perhaps you have heard that lament or something similar. Sometimes the discussion devolves into a search for “techniques” to move our students from the edges of sleep to the edges of their seats. It can be a slippery slope. Technique without connection, without meaning, and without understanding will not help us—or our students.
When you work with students day in and day out, you need practical strategies. You need to focus on the HOW as well as the WHY. You need clear explanations about strategies and exercises that will help you engage your students and enable your students to take more and more responsibility as they move toward their dreams. During this webinar, Steve Piscitelli, retired professor, author, facilitator, and IE favorite, returns to examine the non-academic factors of student success. While academic skills are obviously important, Steve will remind us and demonstrate for us that it takes more than note-taking and test-taking skills for our students to succeed.
Our starting premise will be that student success is our goal. We help students move toward their life dreams, achieve their academic goals, and care for their health and well-being. Participants in this webinar will examine commonly accepted principles associated with student success. Steve will introduce the seven Rs of student—and life—success: relationships, relevance, rainbows, resources, responsibility, reflection, and resilience. These represent seven core values for purpose and growth. Each basic principle will be brought to life with practical strategies. You will learn HOW connecting strategies to basic success principles will help your students focus on their sense of purpose, reflect on and strengthen their internal locus of control, and build connections that will help them socially, academically, physically, and emotionally.
You and your colleagues will be challenged, as well, to question all “best practices” for applicability to your students. Are the “best practices” still relevant? How do you know? What signals do you notice that old and current paradigms need to be challenged—and new “promising practices” considered.
Steve will draw on his classroom and workshop experiences and as well as those of colleagues from around the nation. Participants will examine common best practices in education and have an opportunity to engage in their own reflective practice as to how they measure up. Creating an engaging atmosphere in college classrooms, workshops and orientations does not just happen by accident. It happens on purpose. Join us for this webinar to examine HOW effective teachers motivate their students.
- Differentiate between the WHY and the HOW of student success and motivation
- Examine the underlying principles of student success
- Examine promising teaching practices for college classrooms, student leadership training sessions, and student affairs orientation
- Reflect on and describe how their teaching practices have evolved to reflect changing dynamics of the classroom and campus
- Identify teaching strategies that are appropriate for their student population
- Apply basic principles of student success to their own teaching success (e.g. validation, self-efficacy, collaboration, active involvement)
- 2 & 4-year institutions
- First-Year Experience Coordinators
- Academic Affairs/Instruction
- Student Services/Affairs
- Faculty (full and part-time)
- Enrollment Services
- Retention Specialist
- Diversity Directors
- Directors of Teaching & Learning Centers
- Professional Development Coordinators
- Anyone involved in first-year student success & retention
Steve Piscitelli is a recognized teacher, author and workshop facilitator.
Steve draws on his (33) years of classroom and professional development experience to connect with his audience on a practical level. Recently “retired” from Florida State College at Jacksonville, he remains actively involved with faculty and administrator training across the nation. Additionally, he writes a weekly blog and produces a monthly podcast channel, both of which address the topics of growth and resilience.
He recently released his eleventh book, Stories about Teaching, Learning, and Resilience: No Need to be an Island, which encourages educators to embrace the power of collaboration. Thirty-seven scenarios—based on real educational issues—bring The Seven Rs of Success to life.
Steve has written two student success books (both in their 3rd edition with Pearson Education). The University of Texas/NISOD has published four of his articles addressing the principles of teaching and learning success.
In 2015, Florida State College at Jacksonville named Steve as one of the "Fabulous 50." Nominated by students, this recognition honored "talented and dedicated faculty and staff.” Steve also received special recognition from Jacksonville University with the addition of his name to the list of "Alumni You Ought to Know."
In 2014, Steve delivered a TEDx talk: “Awareness, Assumptions and Actions: Why Do You Do What You Do?”
Steve lives the mantra that “Life is too short to associate with negative people, pessimistic attitudes, and ‘breaking news’ alerts.” He and his wife of more than forty years, Laurie, along with his canine companion, Roxie, live in Atlantic Beach, Florida. Steve and his canine companion Roxie now work as a pet therapy team for the local beaches hospital and at the Jacksonville airport.
For more information and resources, please visit www.stevepiscitelli.com.
What is a live webinar?
A live webinar is an interactive online training. Participants can communicate with the presenter(s) during the event via a live chat feature.
What is an on-demand webinar and how do I get access?
An on-demand training is a previously recorded webinar available online which can be accessed anytime, anywhere. You can register for on-demand trainings at any time. You typically receive a link to the recording and handouts within 24 hours of registration. The recording is a campus access license and is available for one year from the date of the live event.
How long are the webinars?
Webinars can be 30, 45, 60, 90 or 120 minutes. Please check each training for the exact timeframe.
How do I register?
You can register online by adding the product to your shopping cart. You can also register by fax (1-866-508-0860), email (email@example.com), or mail by completing the paper-based registration form. The paper-based registration form is unique to each webinar and is available on each product page.
How do I request accommodations?
For captioning or any other accommodation, please contact us 7 days in advance. 303.955.0415 or firstname.lastname@example.org
When do I register?
You can register at any time, even the morning of the live event. If the live event has occurred, you can purchase the on-demand training (recording) of the session. You can register for on-demand trainings at any time.
What is the process for attending a live event?
The process is as follows:
- We email participants login instructions approximately 1 week prior to the live event.
- We email participants a link to the PowerPoint (.pdf) and any additional handouts approximately 1-2 days prior to the live event. Participants can make copies for attendees if desired.
- We give a courtesy reminder call the day before the live event.
- On the day of the live event, participants can login 30 minutes prior to the start time. Once logged in, participants can see the PowerPoint slides, ask questions, and make comments via the chat feature.
- We email participants a link to the recording the Monday following the live event.
Is there a recording available? And how long is the recording good for?
Approximately one week after the conclusion of the live webinar, participants will receive a link to the recording which can be forwarded to all faculty and staff for viewing anytime, anywhere. The recording is a campus access license and is available for one year from the date of the live event.
What are the technical requirements?
Innovative Educators uses WebEx as its web conferencing provider. If you have not previously attended a WebEx event, please Join a Test Meeting to make sure your computer is compatible with WebEx. Be sure to complete this test prior to the live event. System Requirements - Webex System Requirements
What equipment is required?
For individual or small group viewing, a computer with a reliable Internet connection and audio capabilities are all that’s needed. For large group presentations, we recommend a computer with a reliable Internet connection and speakers, as well as an LCD projector. Participants can call in via phone if they are having trouble retrieving the audio over the computer. Please be sure to reserve a meeting room prior to the live event that can accommodate these requirements as well as your attendees. You should reserve the room 30 minutes prior to the webinar start time and you may want to allow at least 15-30 minutes after the webinar for discussion.
What are the benefits of online training?
Cost-Effective: No travel required. Online Training is an innovative way to provide your entire faculty and staff with a variety of professional development opportunities for one low price! The more you train the more you save, as the registration fee is per institution, not per person.
Easy: You will receive a detailed list of instructions via email. If you run into any problems, we're always here to help.
Practical: Our training sessions focus on the most critical and relevant issues facing educators today. Our primary goal is to provide participants with the information, training, and skills necessary to immediately implement positive change at their institutions.
Top-Notch Presenters: Our presenters are subject matter experts and recognized in their field.
Value Added: When you purchase an online training, you also receive a campus-wide access license to the recording for one year. Faculty and staff can access it as often as they like from any location.
Satisfaction Guaranteed: Our online training is 100% guaranteed. If you are not satisfied, we will give you a credit for a future webinar or on-demand training of your choice (of equal or lesser value).
How can we use these trainings?
- Live: Promote and attend a live webinar and debrief immediately following.
- Hybrid: Distribute the recording to all faculty and staff at the beginning of each month and plan a discussion session at the end of the month to determine how you will implement the strategies presented.
- On-Demand: Distribute the recording to faculty and staff so they can watch anytime, anywhere.
In-Service Training: Plan an in-service around a live webinar or schedule a day and time to show the recording in a lecture hall or large conference room and invite faculty and staff to brainstorm and discuss implications for your institution.
Online Faculty and Staff Learning Communities: Distribute the recording to faculty and staff so they can watch anytime, anywhere.
Staff Recognition: Develop a program around the webinar with monthly themes and recognize the staff members that implement the best idea related to the theme.
Team-Building: Utilize these trainings to develop cross-functional and cross-discipline teams to foster collegiality.
New Employee Training: Include the online training as part of your new employee training program to ensure consistency.
Implementation and Follow-Up: Use the guide and evaluation materials provided by Innovative Educators to plan, implement, and track your progress.
How much does a live webinar or on-demand training cost?
1 Training (Live Webinar or On-Demand Training) - $425 Unlimited connections, campus-wide access license to the recording for one year.
- 2 Trainings - $645 Unlimited connections, recording for one year (campus-wide access)
- 3 Trainings - $900 Unlimited connections, recording for one year (campus-wide access)
- 6 Trainings - $1500 Unlimited connections, recording for one year (campus-wide access)
What type of payment do you accept?
You may pay with a credit card (American Express, MasterCard or Visa), PO, check, or electronic transfer of funds. You can email us (email@example.com), call 303-955-0415 or fax 1.866.508.0860.
Payment terms are net 90 days.
Where do I send payment?
Please mail checks and POs to our mailing address:
3277 Carbon Place
Boulder, CO 80301
What is your cancellation policy?
Below is a breakdown of our cancellation policy.
- 30 days prior: Full refund
- 14 days prior: $100 processing fee
- Fewer than 14 days: Credit toward another IE event. Please note that registration for the live webinar includes access to the recording which you can share, as it is a campus access license. We email the recording the Monday following the live event. For questions, please email us or call 303.955.0415.
What is included in the Go2K Membership?
All live Webinars and over 100 pre-selected, on-demand webinars.
Is the price for Go2K a one-time fee or an annual fee?
The purchase price for Go2K is an annual fee, which includes access to over 150 live events/year and 100+ on-demand trainings.
Are their certificates of completion available?
Your on-demand portal includes automated certificates of completion and can be printed or downloaded after completing the training. The live events do not include automated certificates. However, we can provide you a fillable certificate PDF to share with faculty and staff.
What kind of reporting is included?
For your on-demand trainings, we provide you with a monthly usage report as well as an evaluation report. Upon request, we can provide annual or bi-annual registration reports for any live orders.
How do I register for a live event?
After you purchase your Go2K membership, we will email you an institution specific password that can be used to register for any live event.
Can we share the registration coupon code with everyone at our institution?
Yes. Feel free to share the coupon code with anyone at your institution. Please do not share with anyone outside your institution. We recommend registering 24 hours in advance of the live event.
How do I access my on-demand trainings?
After you purchase your Go2K membership, we will email you a link to your on-demand portal that you can share with your entire institution.
How are colleges using Go2O?
Colleges are using Go2O in a variety of ways:
- As a stand-alone online orientation
- As an online complement to their face-to-face orientation
- As an online orientation for their distance learners
- As an online enrollment checklist to ease the registration process
Does purchase of Go2O include completion reports?
You can receive completion reports two ways:
- Automated delivery (ftp dump, email, webhook)
- Instant access via administrative login
What is the registration checklist and is it included in my Go2O purchase?
The online enrollment checklist is designed to walk students through your enrollment process ensuring they make it to the first day of class! The registration checklist is one of the modules available with Go2O. Based on your purchasing level, the module can be a selection or will be included.
Are there various pricing options available for Go2O?
Yes, we have 4 pricing levels available.
Is Go2O ADA compliant and responsive?
Go2O is ADA accessible and fully responsive on any mobile device, tablet, or computer.
How are colleges using SL?
- Career Readiness
- Learning Centers
- TRIO Programs
- IX Training
- IV Grants
- With Advisors & Counselors
- Extended Learning Institute
- FYE & Student Success Courses
- Online FYE Seminar
- Extra Credit
- Financial Aid Appeal
- College Level English Requirement
- Supplemental Instruction
- Target Online Learners
- Student Disability Office
- Writing Center
- Can be required by faculty
- Student Success Course
Which workshops are your top rated?
We take quality seriously, and so all of our workshops are top notch in terms of content and look. However, if we know how you plan to use StudentLingo (FYE, Retention, Probation, TRIO, etc.), we can make workshop recommendations.
Funding is a little tight, how many workshops can I get for $XX?
You can buy the entire StudentLingo package (50 workshops) or we offer several a la carte options. Unlike a lot of other software companies, we don’t charge per user, so we can work with any budget. We recommend talking to other departments on campus to increase your purchasing power and to share the cost. Also, we do have a pay model whereby students pay directly. If you are interested in learning more about this option, give us a call.
Is there an admin view?
This is a feature of our platform, but comes at an additional cost. With the admin view, you get access to more advanced reporting, and you have it in real time. With the standard membership, you get monthly reports.
How have other schools leveraged reporting?
- One of our partners, College of Southern Nevada, used StudentLingo to measure learning outcomes. in a study, one class had access to StudentLingo and the other cohort did not. 92% of the cohort with access to StudentLingo earned a whole letter grade higher than the cohort without StudentLingo.
- A lot of our partners use the data to justify funding for grants, operating dollars, or for new program development.
- The evaluation data is particularly useful in identifying what type of learning students prefer and the qualitative takeaways from viewing the workshop.
- Some of our partners use the data to connect with their student information system, like Banner or Peoplesoft.
- I think a great way to get started on how you want to use the data is to ask yourself some questions:
- How will I know if StudentLingo was successful?
- What do I hope students will gain from access to StudentLingo?
- What data is important for me to know in order to show that StudentLingo is a worthwhile purchase?
What is TutorLingo?
TutorLingo is a series of 9 online training modules that prepare tutors by providing the basic skills necessary to support their peers in becoming more independent and strategic learners.
Should the TutorLingo trainings be viewed in any particular order?
No, each training is a stand-alone workshop, and they can be viewed in any order.
What is the CRLA?
The CRLA is a group of student-oriented professionals active in the fields of reading, learning assistance, developmental education, tutoring, and mentoring. In 1989, the CRLA created a training program that is considered ‘best-practice’ for tutor training. A fews years ago, Innovative Educators partnered with the CRLA to create supplementary training modules. Our training supports learning centers in achieving level 1 certification through CRLA.
Do CRLA members receive a discount on TutorLingo?
Yes. CRLA members receive a 10% discount on TutorLingo.
Is there an admin view?
Yes. The admin view is an upgrade and costs $500, but gives you the ability to access completion data more efficiently and in real time. If you don’t want the admin view, we provide monthly usage reports.
What is ParentLingo?
ParentLingo is a go-to resource that institutions can easily share with parents to encourage student independence, growth & success. ParentLingo is a shared resource that recognizes and includes parents as partners in the educational process.
What is the cost?
Please contact us for pricing information. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-955-0415.
What features are included?
- 8 Targeted Modules For Parents Branding (Logo On Every Page)
- ADA Compliant & Responsive Design
- Promotional Materials
- Registration (First Name, Last Name, Email)
- 8 Targeted Modules For Parents Branding (Logo On Every Page)
- ADA Compliant & Responsive Design
- Promotional Materials
- Completion Reports & Standard Evaluations
- Custom Branding (Logo & Institutional Photos)
- 3 Additional Registration Points
- Add & Edit Custom Content
- Customizable Evaluations & Surveys Advanced Reporting
- Designated Instructional Designer
- Flexible Pricing (College Payment Option Or Parents Pay Directly)