The Impact Of Technology On Worrying, Behavior & Happiness
This important program shares with teachable, “pay it forward” insight the impact of technology on behavior and happiness. As such it is highly relevant to educators, administrators, staff, parents, and students.
We open by covering life skill principles tied to understanding worry dynamics, as well as and worry’s direct impact on happiness and positive life balance. We overlay that insight across the modern landscape of rapid behavioral change shaped by technology’s growing reliance and explain how those changes impact time choice decision-making.
With digital influence relentless permeation increasing across expanding aspects of daily life, so too come negative behavioral influences such as overt reliance, emotional need, chronic dependence, craved immediacy, impatience, self-absorption, shorter attention spans, and an alarming rise in digital addiction.
The dominoes of digitally propelled behavioral change topple way beyond campus borders. The national mood is unsettled, with millions growing increasingly restless, impatient, and frustrated. Emotional outbursts paint our chosen canvases of daily news, as “voice of one” communicators freely share their views wide and deep in a world besieged by knee-jerk reactions through apps and voices that chew up and spit out facts, lies, and opinions. While screen size is shrinking, engagements are steadily expanding, as are daily minutes of engagement. This is the goal of technology providers: more captive screen time.
With an ever-increasing number of portals mushrooming billions into the self-immersed world of social media, life’s megaphone of opinionated goodness and badness shape how individuals think, feel and act. Contributors continue to expand globally by the millions, with some of their influence coming via tragic ripples of anger, withdrawal, depression, and suicide. With dramatically accelerated 5G speeds a decade away from becoming the global communication norm, the frequency and velocity of digital social engagements will relentlessly escalate.
Educators inherit increasingly crowded heads and are challenged with fighting for mindshare with shortening attention spans. Far too many students arrive with insufficient coping and resilience skills, some tied to digital addiction. Parents are partially to blame, but parents have parallel digital abuse and addiction issues, many of which tie directly back to their own behavioral shackles of digital dependence.
The problems tied to digital engagement are many, the causes and remedies vital to understand. This program explains how these engagements shape—for better and worse—time choice decision-making, and why technology’s expanding influence on behavioral change is causing so many emotional and behavioral problems on campus and off.
We also share instantly doable recommendations to help coach and protect those you care about.
I. Worry Circle® Fundamentals
- Why we worry and how the mind processes the three types and eight categories of worry
- How worry influences behavioral decision-making and time choice decision-making
- How to immediately better manage what we choose to worry about and avoid reverting into bad worry habits
II. The Impact of Technology on Behavior & Happiness
- Technology: Where we were (a quick baseline-setter tied back to 2008)
- The four Time Choice categories our daily behaviors fall into
- Where we are today: What we do more of, what we do less of. (note:
- This utilizes a private exercise where participants identify multiple ways in which technology has change their own behaviors)
- How those personally identified behavioral changes—things the participants do more frequently and less frequently—directly impact
- 5-‐step Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs and an individual’s personal pursuit of happiness and fulfillment
- Where we are headed: Technology’s next tidal wave, which looms on the horizon
- What to do today to guard against, explain, and teach issues of digital addiction, negative behavioral spirals, and getting back to and maintaining a more positive emotional balance. (note: There are three different perspectives to be aware of here: Faculty and staff, parents, and students)
- Enrollment Management
- Human Resources
- Online Learning
- Student Services/Affairs
- Counseling & anyone who deals with parents
- IT departments & Students
“The more we invent to simplify our lives the more complicated they become. There is a mindful art to behavioral discipline. Use your tools . . . never let them use you.”
Ted Simendinger is a an upbeat and popular speaker and guest who has appeared on major TV networks from coast to coast and 4,500+ radio stations worldwide. He has taught, coached, and lectured at universities, corporations, consulting companies, and professional training organizations in 40+ countries on six continents. A life skills expert, Ted is the author of 13 books plus four screenplays optioned for motion picture development.
Ted’s interest and research in the field of Worry date back to 1984. His popular book Managing the Worry Circle is based upon his fact-‐based research findings from more than 3,000 people kind enough to participate. Ted has taught the Worry Circle and helped change lives all around the world. The Impact of Technology on Behavior & Happiness builds upon that foundation and is designed to explain why the world’s heads seem to be down more than up.
In 2010 Ted was honored as one of Jacksonville University’s “75 Distinguished Dolphins,” an award bestowed in conjunction with the school’s 75th anniversary. Recipients were deemed to have added value to the school brand while demonstrating a high level of professional success and personal integrity. He is a frequent returning guest lecturer with the English and Business Schools.
A prolific behavioral researcher, Ted’s latest book, The Impact of Technology on Behavior & Happiness, is a topic he taught in conjunction with Managing the Worry Circle at prestigious Massachusetts Institute of Technology (M.I.T.) Media Lab, the graduate school that produces many of our next generation computer-‐centric visionaries and leaders. Ted’s interest in the topic grew from his global observations in the classroom and out. His research—which involved more than a thousand invested hours—has enabled his insight in this thought-‐provoking area of mindful behavior a popular discussion topic worldwide.
For more information about Ted and his various projects, visit www.oceanpalmer.com. For more information on The Impact of Technology on Behavior & Happiness, visit: http://oceanpalmer.com/books/the-‐impact-‐of-‐technology-‐ on-‐behavior-‐happiness/overview/.
A longtime professional humor writer who lost a standup competition to comedy superstar Dave Chappelle when Chappelle was 14, Ted resides in Denver. His hobbies include reading, writing, fishing, losing golf balls, and feeding hummingbirds and honeybees during the summer. He is also founder and chairman of the No Bats Baseball Club, a charity organization he began in 1991 that has since raised and donated $1.6+ million for a wide variety of wonderful 501-‐c-‐3 charities. For more on the club, visit www.NoBats.com.
What is a live webinar?
A live webinar is an interactive online training. Participants can communicate with the presenter(s) during the event via a live chat feature.
What is an on-demand webinar and how do I get access?
An on-demand training is a previously recorded webinar available online which can accessed anytime, anywhere. You can register for on-demand trainings at any time. You typically receive a link to the recording and handouts within 24 hours of registration. The recording is a campus access license and is available for one year from the date of the live event.
How long are the webinars?
Webinars can be 30, 45, 60, 90 or 120 minutes. Please check each training for the exact timeframe.
How do I register?
You can register online by adding the product to your shopping cart. You can also register by fax (1-866-508-0860), email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or mail by completing the paper-based registration form. The paper-based registration form is unique to each webinar and is available on each product page.
How do I request accommodations?
For captioning or any other accommodation, please contact us 7 days in advance. 303.955.0415 or email@example.com
When do I register?
You can register at any time, even the morning of the live event. If the live event has occurred, you can purchase the on-demand training (recording) of the session. You can register for on-demand trainings at any time.
What is the process for attending a live event?
The process is as follows:
- We email participants login instructions approximately 1 week prior to the live event.
- We email participants a link to the PowerPoint (.pdf) and any additional handouts approximately 1-2 days prior to the live event. Participants can make copies for attendees if desired.
- We give a courtesy reminder call the day before the live event.
- On the day of the live event, participants can login 30 minutes prior to the start time. Once logged in, participants can see the PowerPoint slides, ask questions, and make comments via the chat feature.
- We email participants a link to the recording the Monday following the live event.
Is there a recording available? And how long is the recording good for?
Approximately one week after the conclusion of the live webinar, participants will receive a link to the recording which can be forwarded to all faculty and staff for viewing anytime, anywhere. The recording is a campus access license and is available for one year from the date of the live event.
What are the technical requirements?
Innovative Educators uses WebEx as its web conferencing provider. If you have not previously attended a WebEx event, please Join a Test Meeting to make sure your computer is compatible with WebEx. Be sure to complete this test prior to the live event. System Requirements - Webex System Requirements
What equipment is required?
For individual or small group viewing, a computer with a reliable Internet connection and audio capabilities are all that’s needed. For large group presentations, we recommend a computer with a reliable Internet connection and speakers, as well as an LCD projector. Participants can call in via phone if they are having trouble retrieving the audio over the computer. Please be sure to reserve a meeting room prior to the live event that can accommodate these requirements as well as your attendees. You should reserve the room 30 minutes prior to the webinar start time and you may want to allow at least 15-30 minutes after the webinar for discussion.
What are the benefits of online training?
Cost-Effective: No travel required. Online Training is an innovative way to provide your entire faculty and staff with a variety of professional development opportunities for one low price! The more you train the more you save, as the registration fee is per institution, not per person.
Easy: You will receive a detailed list of instructions via email. If you run into any problems, we're always here to help.
Practical: Our training sessions focus on the most critical and relevant issues facing educators today. Our primary goal is to provide participants with the information, training, and skills necessary to immediately implement positive change at their institutions.
Top-Notch Presenters: Our presenters are subject matter experts and recognized in their field.
Value Added: When you purchase an online training, you also receive a campus-wide access license to the recording for one year. Faculty and staff can access it as often as they like from any location.
Satisfaction Guaranteed: Our online training is 100% guaranteed. If you are not satisfied, we will give you a credit for a future webinar or on-demand training of your choice (of equal or lesser value).
How can we use these trainings?
- Live: Promote and attend a live webinar and debrief immediately following.
- Hybrid: Distribute the recording to all faculty and staff at the beginning of each month and plan a discussion session at the end of the month to determine how you will implement the strategies presented.
- On-Demand: Distribute the recording to faculty and staff so they can watch anytime, anywhere.
In-Service Training: Plan an in-service around a live webinar or schedule a day and time to show the recording in a lecture hall or large conference room and invite faculty and staff to brainstorm and discuss implications for your institution.
Online Faculty and Staff Learning Communities: Distribute the recording to faculty and staff so they can watch anytime, anywhere.
Staff Recognition: Develop a program around the webinar with monthly themes and recognize the staff members that implement the best idea related to the theme.
Team-Building: Utilize these trainings to develop cross-functional and cross-discipline teams to foster collegiality.
New Employee Training: Include the online training as part of your new employee training program to ensure consistency.
Implementation and Follow-Up: Use the guide and evaluation materials provided by Innovative Educators to plan, implement, and track your progress.
How much does a live webinar or on-demand training cost?
1 Training (Live Webinar or On-Demand Training) - $425 Unlimited connections, campus-wide access license to the recording for one year.
- 2 Trainings - $645 Unlimited connections, recording for one year (campus-wide access)
- 3 Trainings - $900 Unlimited connections, recording for one year (campus-wide access)
- 6 Trainings - $1500 Unlimited connections, recording for one year (campus-wide access)
What type of payment do you accept?
You may pay with a credit card (American Express, MasterCard or Visa), PO, check, or electronic transfer of funds. You can email us (firstname.lastname@example.org), call 303-955-0415 or fax 1.866.508.0860.
Payment terms are net 90 days.
Where do I send payment?
Please mail checks and POs to our mailing address:
3277 Carbon Place
Boulder, CO 80301
What is your cancellation policy?
Below is a breakdown of our cancellation policy.
- 30 days prior: Full refund
- 14 days prior: $100 processing fee
- Fewer than 14 days: Credit toward another IE event. Please note that registration for the live webinar includes access to the recording which you can share, as it is a campus access license. We email the recording the Monday following the live event. For questions, please email us or call 303.955.0415.
What is included in the Go2K Membership?
All live Webinars and over 100 pre-selected, on-demand webinars.
Is the price for Go2K a one-time fee or an annual fee?
The purchase price for Go2K is an annual fee, which includes access to over 150 live events/year and 100+ on-demand trainings.
Are their certificates of completion available?
Your on-demand portal includes automated certificates of completion and can be printed or downloaded after completing the training. The live events do not include automated certificates. However, we can provide you a fillable certificate PDF to share with faculty and staff.
What kind of reporting is included?
For your on-demand trainings, we provide you with a monthly usage report as well as an evaluation report. Upon request, we can provide annual or bi-annual registration reports for any live orders.
How do I register for a live event?
After you purchase your Go2K membership, we will email you an institution specific password that can be used to register for any live event.
Can we share the registration coupon code with everyone at our institution?
Yes. Feel free to share the coupon code with anyone at your institution. Please do not share with anyone outside your institution. We recommend registering 24 hours in advance of the live event.
How do I access my on-demand trainings?
After you purchase your Go2K membership, we will email you a link to your on-demand portal that you can share with your entire institution.
How are colleges using Go2O?
Colleges are using Go2O in a variety of ways:
- As a stand-alone online orientation
- As an online complement to their face-to-face orientation
- As an online orientation for their distance learners
- As an online enrollment checklist to ease the registration process
Does purchase of Go2O include completion reports?
You can receive completion reports two ways:
- Automated delivery (ftp dump, email, webhook)
- Instant access via administrative login
What is the registration checklist and is it included in my Go2O purchase?
The online enrollment checklist is designed to walk students through your enrollment process ensuring they make it to the first day of class! The registration checklist is one of the modules available with Go2O. Based on your purchasing level, the module can be a selection or will be included.
Are there various pricing options available for Go2O?
Yes, we have 4 pricing levels available.
Is Go2O ADA compliant and responsive?
Go2O is ADA accessible and fully responsive on any mobile device, tablet, or computer.
How are colleges using SL?
- Career Readiness
- Learning Centers
- TRIO Programs
- IX Training
- IV Grants
- With Advisors & Counselors
- Extended Learning Institute
- FYE & Student Success Courses
- Online FYE Seminar
- Extra Credit
- Financial Aid Appeal
- College Level English Requirement
- Supplemental Instruction
- Target Online Learners
- Student Disability Office
- Writing Center
- Can be required by faculty
- Student Success Course
Which workshops are your top rated?
We take quality seriously, and so all of our workshops are top notch in terms of content and look. However, if we know how you plan to use StudentLingo (FYE, Retention, Probation, TRIO, etc.), we can make workshop recommendations.
Funding is a little tight, how many workshops can I get for $XX?
You can buy the entire StudentLingo package (48 workshops) or we offer several a la carte options. Unlike a lot of other software companies, we don’t charge per user, so we can work with any budget. We recommend talking to other departments on campus to increase your purchasing power and to share the cost. Also, we do have a pay model whereby students pay directly. If you are interested in learning more about this option, give us a call.
Is there an admin view?
This is a feature of our platform, but comes at an additional cost. With the admin view, you get access to more advanced reporting, and you have it in real time. With the standard membership, you get monthly reports.
How have other schools leveraged reporting?
- One of our partners, College of Southern Nevada, used StudentLingo to measure learning outcomes. in a study, one class had access to StudentLingo and the other cohort did not. 92% of the cohort with access to StudentLingo earned a whole letter grade higher than the cohort without StudentLingo.
- A lot of our partners use the data to justify funding for grants, operating dollars, or for new program development.
- The evaluation data is particularly useful in identifying what type of learning students prefer and the qualitative takeaways from viewing the workshop.
- Some of our partners use the data to connect with their student information system, like Banner or Peoplesoft.
- I think a great way to get started on how you want to use the data is to ask yourself some questions:
- How will I know if StudentLingo was successful?
- What do I hope students will gain from access to StudentLingo?
- What data is important for me to know in order to show that StudentLingo is a worthwhile purchase?
What is TutorLingo?
TutorLingo is a series of 9 online training modules that prepare tutors by providing the basic skills necessary to support their peers in becoming more independent and strategic learners.
Should the TutorLingo trainings be viewed in any particular order?
No, each training is a stand-alone workshop, and they can be viewed in any order.
What is the CRLA?
The CRLA is a group of student-oriented professionals active in the fields of reading, learning assistance, developmental education, tutoring, and mentoring. In 1989, the CRLA created a training program that is considered ‘best-practice’ for tutor training. A fews years ago, Innovative Educators partnered with the CRLA to create supplementary training modules. Our training supports learning centers in achieving level 1 certification through CRLA.
Do CRLA members receive a discount on TutorLingo?
Yes. CRLA members receive a 10% discount on TutorLingo.
Is there an admin view?
Yes. The admin view is an upgrade and costs $500, but gives you the ability to access completion data more efficiently and in real time. If you don’t want the admin view, we provide monthly usage reports.
What is ParentLingo?
ParentLingo is a go-to resource that institutions can easily share with parents to encourage student independence, growth & success. ParentLingo is a shared resource that recognizes and includes parents as partners in the educational process.
What is the cost?
Please contact us for pricing information. Email email@example.com or 303-955-0415.
What features are included?
- 8 Targeted Modules For Parents Branding (Logo On Every Page)
- ADA Compliant & Responsive Design
- Promotional Materials
- Registration (First Name, Last Name, Email)
- 8 Targeted Modules For Parents Branding (Logo On Every Page)
- ADA Compliant & Responsive Design
- Promotional Materials
- Completion Reports & Standard Evaluations
- Custom Branding (Logo & Institutional Photos)
- 3 Additional Registration Points
- Add & Edit Custom Content
- Customizable Evaluations & Surveys Advanced Reporting
- Designated Instructional Designer
- Flexible Pricing (College Payment Option Or Parents Pay Directly)