Blog & News
Time Management & Procrastination: Read Now. Not Later.
An Educator’s Perspective - Let’s Hear From Dr. Laurie Hazard
According to the American Psychological Association, between 80 and 95 percent of college students procrastinate on their schoolwork. So let’s face it, most students need help with time management and a 3-tiered time management system would be beneficial for most (if not all) students, but there is a lesson here for all of us.
A Personal Perspective (Erin Hoag)
Time management and goal setting go hand-in-hand, and even though I may have the best-laid plans, I get sidetracked and...next thing I know, time has disappeared. Where did the time go? Did it really disappear? It’s not like I haven’t been doing anything. I’ve been busy, but busy doing what?
Merriam Webster’s definition of procrastination is “to put off intentionally the doing of something that should be done”. I don’t know about you but I prefer to spend my time doing things I enjoy and things that I can get done quickly. This preference can often lead to procrastination of things I “should” be doing. For example, I don’t love working out. I workout because I know it is good for me, but I don’t love it. Anyway, I “should” workout first thing every morning. However, I will often have a second cup of coffee, start the laundry, answer emails, watch the news, and guess what? Next thing I know, my morning workout time has disappeared (yes, my time disappeared), and I need to head off to work. These activities, called replacement activities, can happen to all of us.
My Questions For You
- What are you procrastinating?
- What are your procrastinatory replacement activities?
- How can we use our personal experiences to help teach our students about time management and procrastination?
Let’s get the conversation started. What do you think?
Resources - Videos
- The Psychology Behind Why We Wait Until the Last Minute to Do Things
- Study finds up to 95 percent of college students procrastinate
- Procrastination: The Hidden College Epidemic
- Procrastination in College: Why We Do It and How to Stop
- Top 10 Ways to Avoid Procrastination
- How to Stop Procrastinating - Overcoming the Habit of Delaying Important Tasks
Author: Laurie Hazard
April 27, 2019
Build Your Learning