On-Demand Training: Underprepared Students: Mapping Career Pathways for Non-Native Speakers
Buy this single session or purchase a package deal and save!
$1750 for your choice of 12 presentations (If purchased individually $3540)
$1200 for your choice of 6 presentations (If purchased individually $1770)
$750 for your choice of 3 presentations (If purchased individually $885)
$295 for one presentation
View registration steps below
North Shore Community College in Massachusetts has found success in working with underprepared, non-native speaking students by implementing a career mapping and language support model which fosters student achievement and college degree attainment. This webinar will highlight some of the strategies used to support and retain underprepared adult students including abbreviated ESL testing, contextualized workshops and ESL classes, bi-lingual prep class and study groups, 'chunking', acceleration of college courses and the use of career maps to enhance academic advising.
Download paper-based registration form
Participants will learn about:
· Tiered initiatives for non-native speakers preparing to enter college
· Collaborations between early childhood and ESL departments and faculty
· Language support services for those who are taking college credit courses
· Creating more open access for underprepared students
· Using career maps as a visual pathway for students
· ‘chunking’ of coursework in a degree program
· Connections with community based organizations to identify gaps in services
Who should attend?
College Administration and Faculty
Representatives of Community Based Organizations
Instructional and Student Services Deans
Instructors in DevEd courses
Administrators of DevEd programs
Student Success Specialists
Advisors and Counselors
Student Support Professionals
Anyone interested in improving retention rates for underprepared students
Kathryn (Kathy) Gallo has worked at North Shore Community College in Lynn Massachusetts (NSCC) since 1998 through a unique partnership with the city of Lynn Community Partnerships for Children grant. Funded by the grant, but an employee of the college, Kathy works to improve quality in the field of early childhood education. NSCC has developed an early childhood career path that provides contextualized ESL classes, a comprehensive Child Development Associate (CDA) track and several certificate programs that all flow seamlessly into the AS degree program at the college. She holds a Bachelor’s degree from Salem State College and a M.Ed. from Salem State College.
How do I register?
You can purchase a single presentation or a pack of 3, 6 or 12. To register, add the product(s) to your cart and enter the appropriate coupon code if purchasing more than two events.
Coupon code for 12 presentations - 12ondemand
Coupon code for 6 presentations - 6ondemand
Coupon code for 3 presentations - 3ondemand
Or you can register via fax by clicking on this form: Paper-based registration form
How does it work?
1. We email you a link and password that will give you access to the On-Demand Training presentations
2. You distribute the link and password to your entire faculty and staff via email
3. You will have access to these links indefinitely
What are the benefits of on-demand trainings?
- Accessible: Email the trainings to your entire faculty and staff, so they can take advantage of training opportunities anytime, anywhere. They can watch in the comfort of their office, their home or while traveling.
- Cost-Effective: No travel required. An innovative way to provide your entire faculty and staff with a variety of professional development opportunities for one low price! The more you train – the more you save, as the registration fee is per institution, not per person.
- Easy: It’s as easy as point, click, participate. And if you run into any problems, we’re always here to help.
- Practical: Our training sessions focus on the most critical and relevant issues facing educators today. Our primary goal is to provide participants with the information, training and skills necessary to immediately implement positive change at their institutions.
- Top-Notch Speakers: Our speakers are subject matter experts and recognized in their field.
- No Expiration: When you purchase an On-Demand Training, it is yours indefinitely. You can use it whenever and as often as you want, offering consistent training to all of your hires.
- Satisfaction Guaranteed: Our On-Demand Trainings are 100% guaranteed. Thus, there is no risk. If you are not completely satisfied, we will refund your money in full.
How will we use these trainings?
- Hybrid Professional Development: Distribute an On-Demand Training to faculty and staff at the beginning of each month and plan a discussion session at the end of the month to determine how you will implement the strategies presented.
- Online Faculty and Staff Learning Communities: Distribute On-Demand Trainings to faculty and staff so they can watch anytime, anywhere. Contact Innovative Educators at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will create an online discussion group specifically for your institution at no extra charge.
- In-Service Training: Plan a day and time to show an On-Demand Training in a lecture hall or large conference room and invite faculty and staff to attend – debrief immediately following the presentation.
- Staff Recognition: Develop a program around the On-Demand Trainings with monthly themes and recognize the staff members that implement the best idea related to the theme.
- Team-Building: Utilize these On-Demand Trainings to develop cross-functional and cross-discipline teams to foster collegiality.
- New Employee Training: Include these trainings as part of your new employee training program to ensure consistency.
- Implementation and Follow-Up: Use the guide and evaluation materials provided by Innovative Educators to plan, implement and track your progress.