Military veterans returning as students to the campus environment need a certain level of support as well as key academic services to help ensure that they have a successful, long-lasting experience. Academic advising is one very critical part of the picture.
What are truly normal human responses to traumatic experiences may actually cause severe symptom formation resulting in academic struggles, potential failure, and lower retention rates. If we identify and understand these responses and build programming that addresses the needs of students with traumatic life experiences, we can increase success and retention.
This webinar will focus on the development of a protocol for academic advisors providing services to military veterans. This protocol takes into consideration military culture, life experiences of military veterans, previous military training, deployment issues, family issues, and traumatic life experiences.
- Discuss the importance of academic advising to the military veteran
- Gain an understanding of traumatic life experiences in the context of the military veteran
- Address ways to build retention and long-term academic success for military veterans
- Walk away with a clear and concise protocol that includes consideration of variables that may impact a military veteran student’s successful completion of their chosen academic pursuits
- 2-year & 4-year institutions
- Veteran Services
- Academic Advising
- Counseling Center Personnel
- Dean of Student Services/Affairs
- Retention Specialist
- Anyone on campus interested in creating a “military friendly and trauma informed”environment