Every student is unique. Every staff member is unique. How can institutions develop initiatives that nurture individuals while at the same time foster a sense of community that increases retention? Why do some students drop out while others are able to adapt? This webinar will focus on a new program being implemented at Colorado State University, called LifeTraits®. This innovative 20-question assessment is designed to profile both students and staff to map their individual personalities to their ideal environments. Unlike other personality profiles, LifeTraits® helps students express the needs and wants they seek in their surroundings and gives staff a vocabulary to aid in that approach.
Participants will explore the progress and results at Colorado State University, and specifically address the method behind LifeTraits®. Using a two-fold approach, the program focuses on individual advising based on psychometrics and highlights the importance of creating online connections between students, professors, and staff. With a back-end data analysis and student personality tests, this innovative program maps behaviors to environment performance. The goal of LifeTraits® is to assist students in making connections with campus resources, gaining self-knowledge, and establishing a level of comfort with the academic environment that promotes retention and academic success. Participants will also be able to determine which departments would most benefit from this type of approach, as well as discover strategies for identifying the most common environment stressors that impact retention, before they occur.
- Add communication strategies to their toolkit via the LifeTraits® approach that help staff strengthen community for students in order to maintain a sense of place
- Learn how to create personality-based connections among students, professors, advisors, and their campus environment
- Discover how specific groups using this tool can create more community for students and strengthen affinity groups
- Determine the importance of creating a more personalized network of support for graduates
- Learn how to use this tool in recruiting to attract and retain students that will be most successful within their programs
- Understand which students are most likely to drop out and identify behavior indicators prior to a stressful encounter
- Discuss student placement through personality-based segmentation along with the aid of career services to better place students in their ideal environment for career success
- Identify the ideal environment/stressors based on student and staff personality
- Develop strategies for adapting to the environment to promote learning
- Be introduced to programs for training advisors using student personality data to better reach and communicate with students
- Discover which departments would most benefit from the LifeTraits® tools
- Faculty (full and part-time)
- Student Services Staff (recruiters, advisors, counselors, tutors, etc.)
- Anyone on campus who wishes to improve their campus environment and help students succeed