The Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) holds a very important place in the achievement of educational goals. But just how powerful is it? This webinar will take a close look at real-world data compiled by North Lake College (NLC) during their study of students who received PLAs in their preparation for STEM majors as compared to non-PLA students. We will compare and contrast data to show how students with various prior learning skills (such as Spanish language, or science and mathematical proficiency) use their knowledge on PLA exams to achieve college credit before they enroll in STEM-specific courses.
The data presented during this webinar will clearly illustrate that STEM students who earn college credit via Prior Learning Assessments are more likely to persist through college, which creates higher retention rates. We will also showcase the fact that these students will have higher GPAs when they graduate or transfer to a four-year institution.
- Understand the amount of personal success a student feels when they set foot on campus with credit hours already earned and how this leads to success
- Compare the cost of credit-by-examination programs to the cost of taking a course
- Identify the many benefits of placing students into the right classes so they can avoid repeating material and move into more advanced classes sooner
- Review data that illustrate that STEM students who earn college credit via PLAs are more likely to persist through college
- Discover how earning credit through PLAs can result in higher retention and student success rates on their campus
- 2-year & 4-year institutions
- Academic Affairs/Instruction
- STEM Faculty
- Student Services/Affairs
- Retention Specialist
- Testing & Assessment
- Any educator interested in prior learning assessment