Over 65,000 college-ready undocumented students graduate from our nation's high schools each year and this number is likely to increase. As such, higher education professionals are compelled to address the needs of this growing population. College-ready undocumented students have jumped the same hurdles as other college-eligible students, yet they have not been given the same degree of access to higher education. Without improvements in relevant college knowledge, guidance, and financial support, these students, many of whom are among the best their communities have to offer, will continue to be shut out of a system that is virtually their only means for upward mobility.
Based on six years of research and practice with college-bound undocumented immigrant students, this webinar will offer participants insight into best practices for improving the college access and success of this growing population. The presenter will share information to dispel the myths about college-going, immigration and educational rights for undocumented immigrants across the nation. In doing so, she will provide up-to-date information about policies and practices to provide undocumented immigrant students with greater access to higher education. The session will include information about state and federal policies that shape college access for undocumented students and offer best practices for helping undocumented students persist through the college admissions, college attendance, and financial aid acquisition processes. A major component of the session will be best practices for assisting undocumented immigrants in securing funds to support their college education.
Participants will learn the following:
- How state and federal education and immigration policies impact college access for undocumented students in their state.
- How to assist undocumented students as they apply for college admission.
- How to address the unique needs of undocumented college-goers.
- How to help undocumented students fundraise to pay for college.
- How to help undocumented students develop a network of support once they get to college.
- How to help undocumented students improve their potential for employment or graduate school attendance upon college graduation.
- How to help undocumented students determine if they are eligible to adjust their residency status.