In today’s higher education environment, leaders must be able to quickly assess, distinguish and handle sexual harassment and misconduct. It is critical to be prepared with a clear, manageable process for handling a broad spectrum of these types of conduct cases. As the nation becomes increasingly aware of this sensitive issue, it is more important than ever to determine how and when to take action.
This webinar will look at different definitions of sexual harassment and misconduct and help school officials, administrators, and student services staff to determine a reasonable process of response for their institutions. Some important steps that will help participants define and implement a process include:
- Understanding the definitions of sexual harassment and misconduct
- Reviewing the student conduct process step by step
- Learning how to ensure that student conduct practitioners are asking the right questions during a hearing
- Taking a closer look at a preponderance of evidence
- Being aware of powerful emotions that can impact the decision-making process
- Considering appropriate sanctions
- Supporting staff, students, campus and the larger community in a safe and healthy manner
Participants will be provided with templates that may be adopted and further developed for their specific institutions.