Developmental Students: Using Hybrid Coursework to Improve Electronic Literacy
Literacy is more than reading and writing via paper in our post-modern age. Developmental students - underprepared or misprepared - need strategies for navigating and using screen-based mediums as much as they need to learn how to handle traditional print. Using blended learning in classes that meet both face-to-face and online, we can help nontraditional students enter the world of academic discourse, as well as engage them by utilizing current technologies.
Who should attend?
- Understand how and why blended learning can be more effective than f-t-f or online alone.
- Connect current literacy theory - interaction and transaction - to electronic modes of communication (email, discussion boards, word processing)
- Learn how to convert a f-t-f class or workshop to the blended model
- Brainstorm ideas for utilizing electronic sources in teaching literacy concepts: email as genre, using sources on the Internet in teaching how not to plagiarize; discussion boards as reflective learning communities, and more.
- Developmental educators at the instructional and supervisory levels.
- Learning assistance professionals.
Who is the speaker?
Linda Sweeney, Ed.D., Assistant Professor, has been teaching developmental courses for 15 years. At National-Louis University, she directs one of the few graduate programs in the U.S. that prepares students to teach developmental reading or writing, or to supervise and coordinate learning assistance centers. Linda’s research has been centered on literacy and alternative texts, which include media forms such as movies and television shows, as well as the wide open electronic spaces of the Internet.
You can purchase a single presentation or a pack of 3, 6 or 12. The more you buy, the more you save. For a single presentation, add the product to your cart and follow the steps. If purchasing more than two events, add the products to your cart and enter the appropriate coupon code.
Package Deals (for our products costing $345):
3 presentations for $750 - enter coupon code 3ondemand when registering (Save $285)
6 presentations for $1395 - enter coupon code 6ondemand when registering (Save $675)
12 presentations for $2140 - enter coupon code 12ondemand when registering (Save $2000)
If you are interested in ordering multiple presentations that involve our products priced at $200 or $545, please contact Val at email@example.com or call 303-775-6004 for the multiple discount. Please note: a presentation costing $545 counts as two presentations, as these trainings consist of two sessions.
How does it work?
1. We email you a link and password that will give you access to the On-Demand Training presentations
2. You distribute the link and password to your entire faculty and staff via email
3. You will have access to these links for one full year
What are the benefits of On-Demand Trainings?
- Accessible: Email the trainings to your entire faculty and staff, so they can take advantage of training opportunities anytime, anywhere. They can watch in the comfort of their office, their home or while traveling.
- Cost-Effective: No travel required. An innovative way to provide your entire faculty and staff with a variety of professional development opportunities for one low price! The more you train, the more you save. The registration fee is per institution, not per person.
- Easy: It's as easy as point, click, participate. If you run into any problems, we're always here to help.
- Practical: Our training sessions focus on the most critical and relevant issues facing educators today. Our primary goal is to provide participants with the information, training and skills necessary to immediately implement positive change at their institutions.
- Top-Notch Speakers: Our speakers are subject matter experts and recognized in their field.
- Flexible: When you purchase an On-Demand Training, it is yours for one full year.You can use it whenever and as often as you want during the year, offering consistent training to all of your hires.
- Satisfaction Guaranteed: Our On-Demand Trainings are 100% guaranteed. Thus, there is no risk. If you are not completely satisfied, we will refund your money in full.
How will we use these trainings?
- Hybrid Professional Development: Distribute an On-Demand Training to faculty and staff at the beginning of each month and plan a discussion session at the end of the month to determine how you will implement the strategies presented.
- Online Faculty and Staff Learning Communities: Distribute On-Demand Trainings to faculty and staff so they can watch anytime, anywhere. Contact Innovative Educators at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will create an online discussion group specifically for your institution at no extra charge.
- In-Service Training: Plan a day and time to show an On-Demand Training in a lecture hall or large conference room and invite faculty and staff to attend a debrief immediately following the presentation.
- Staff Recognition: Develop a program around the On-Demand Trainings with monthly themes and recognize the staff members that implement the best idea related to the theme.
- Team-Building: Utilize these On-Demand Trainings to develop cross-functional and cross-discipline teams to foster collegiality.
- New Employee Training: Include these trainings as part of your new employee training program to ensure consistency.
- Implementation and Follow-Up: Use the guide and evaluation materials provided by Innovative Educators to plan, implement and track your progress.
If you have any questions, please contact Val at email@example.com or call 303-775-6004 for more information.