Drawing from his newly published book A Faculty Guide to Disruptive and Dangerous Behavior in the Classroom
, Dr. Van Brunt will share 10 clear and innovative approaches for faculty and staff to address a variety of odd, disruptive, worrisome, and dangerous behaviors on campus.
This webinar will draw from the stories and experiences Dr. Van Brunt has encountered while teaching and working in student affairs. He will share 10 approaches through practical, humorous, and candid examples. Each approach will be applicable to both faculty and staff that are working with students of concern. Participants will learn the warning signs and explore creative solutions for talking with students that are having a mental health crisis. They will also discuss ways to consult with the campus Behavioral Intervention Teams (BITs) on campus to better collaboration and proper intervention.
Dr. Van Bruntís 10 Practical & Humorous Approaches:
1. Confidence: Driving in New Jersey with Billy Joel
2. Humility: Like a Reed in the Wind
3. Timing: Donít Be a Judge Dread
4. Grace & Mercy: And Other Liberal, Hippy, New Age Ideas
5. Awareness: What Else Might This Be?
6. Active Listening: Lesson from the TV Show COPS
7. Clarify: Let Them Know What to Expect
8. Know Thyself: Letís Talk & Other Self-Reflection Exercises
9. Consult: It Takes a VillageÖ and I Should Do What Now?
10. Exert Control: How to Hold the Line