The first day of class sets the tone for the rest of the course. Creating an engaging session, encouraging community, and beginning to build positive relationships are all key factors in pulling off a successful first day for your incoming students. A good start is key to a successful semester! The first day usually includes taking care of administrative details, meeting the students, and introducing the subject. This might sound like boring, mandatory housekeeping, but it is a prime opportunity to be creative and capture students at their freshest.
This webinar will present strategies for engaging students and creating a positive learning environment that fosters student success throughout the course. Participants will receive a resource guide with several activities that they can use the first day of class and a checklist for creating a complete syllabus. The presenter will include strategies for both face-to-face and online courses.
By the end of this session, participants will be able to:
- Articulate reasons why the first day of class is important
- Discover creative ways to build community and positive relationships in class
- Recognize important components of every syllabus
- Identify strategies for creating an engaging first day of class that will foster success throughout the semester (presenter will include strategies for both face-to-face and online courses)
- Receive a resource guide with several activities and a checklist for creating a complete syllabus
- 2-year & 4-year institutions
- Faculty (online and on campus, full & part-time)
- Instructional Coaches
- Faculty Development Coordinators
- Graduate Teaching Assistants
- Education Majors
- Anyone Involved in Assessment of Student Learning