Two of the most widely discussed topics in post-secondary education today are Online Teaching & Learning and Student Retention & Success. In the national dialogue these topics are usually treated separately. However, those institutions that make great use of online delivery have learned–often the hard way–that increasing the rates of retention and success of online students requires mechanisms and resources grounded in the unique characteristics of the students who gravitate toward distance and technology-mediated course delivery.
In this webinar we will review the current environment of online teaching and learning in the U.S. and some of the unique characteristics of online students that can pose retention and success challenges to the institutions seeking to serve them. The facilitator will present some examples of how institutions have identified challenges to online student retention and success and how they implemented means to help students overcome them. The facilitator will then present a list of possible best practices for online student retention and success and guide participants through an initial evaluation of their institutions, students, and other factors that affect online student retention. Participants will take away a template that may be of value in conducting a more in-depth review of their campuses prior to the planning and implementation of specific retention and success initiatives.
- Examine the experiences of some institutions in seeking to improve their rates of online student retention and success
- Discuss the primacy of mission in determining satisfactory rates of retention and success and in developing and implementing retention initiatives in a post-secondary institution
- Differentiate retention and success strategies for online versus on-campus students
- Produce a customized template for use in evaluating an institution’s online student success and retention environment and in planning initiatives to improve retention and success rates
- 2-year & 4-year institutions
- Online Learning
- Academic Affairs/Instruction
- Student Services/Affairs
- Faculty (full and part-time)
- Retention Specialist
- Accreditation Officers
- Directors of Assessment