A Step-By-Step Guide To Creating A Quality Veterans Resource Center On Your Campus
View Free Resources:
This webinar will review the history and impact of the new GI Bill and how it affected student veterans at several campuses (universities and community colleges), both large and small, from fall of 2009 thru fall of 2013. Participants will learn what their individual campuses need to do to attract and keep the veteran demographic. The ins and outs of a successful Veterans Resource Center will also be discussed: space, equipment, community buy-in and support, personnel, and funding.
Participants will walk step-by-step through a series of planning, design, and implementation stages that, if followed, can lead to the creation of a quality Veterans Resource Center. They will also learn how to evaluate the effectiveness of the center and move forward with maintenance and growth activities.
Dr. Schupp will be able to provide a very good estimation as to the number of service-members who will be leaving the military in 2014, 2015, 2016, and the mandated draw-down in 2017. This information will be provided for each military installation by branch of service and by city that these installations are located within. If your campus is wtihin 100 miles of a military base, this is your 'market' of student veterans. Dr. Schupp will show an example for the state of Kansas, but he can provide a personalized report just for your campus. He will also provide the number of Post 9-11 veterans that have visited the VA near you in 2013.
- Discuss why it is essential to have a Veterans Resource Center on campus
- Explore the types of services a quality center should offer
- Learn how to recruit, train, and retain center staff
- Discover the financial impact on campus and community
- Learn how a Veterans Resource Center can affect the lives of student veterans as well as their families
Who Should Attend?
- 2-year & 4-year institutions
- Student Services/Affairs
- Veteran Services
- Residence Life
- Retention Specialist
- Student Success Team/Committee
- Student Life
- Anyone who works with student veterans