How To Handle Disruptive & Dangerous Behavior: 10 Innovative Approaches To Addressing Mental Health Issues On Campus
Drawing from his newly published book
A Faculty Guide to Disruptive and Dangerous Behavior in the Classroom, Dr. Van Brunt will share 10 clear and innovative approaches for faculty and staff to address a variety of odd, disruptive, worrisome, and dangerous behaviors on campus.
This webinar will draw from the stories and experiences Dr. Van Brunt has encountered while teaching and working in student affairs. He will share 10 approaches through practical, humorous, and candid examples. Each approach will be applicable to both faculty and staff that are working with students of concern. Participants will learn the warning signs and explore creative solutions for talking with students that are having a mental health crisis. They will also discuss ways to consult with the campus Behavioral Intervention Teams (BITs) on campus to better collaboration and proper intervention.
Dr. Van Bruntís 10 Practical & Humorous Approaches:
1. Confidence: Driving in New Jersey with Billy Joel
2. Humility: Like a Reed in the Wind
3. Timing: Donít Be a Judge Dread
4. Grace & Mercy: And Other Liberal, Hippy, New Age Ideas
5. Awareness: What Else Might This Be?
6. Active Listening: Lesson from the TV Show COPS
7. Clarify: Let Them Know What to Expect
8. Know Thyself: Letís Talk & Other Self-Reflection Exercises
9. Consult: It Takes a VillageÖ and I Should Do What Now?
10. Exert Control: How to Hold the Line
- Review the warning signs and example crisis events that occur in an out of the classroom
- Explore how they can better approach students with mental health problems in the residence halls, around campus offices, and in the classroom
- Review how the campus Behavioral Intervention Teams (BITs) should be consulted to improve collaboration and proper intervention
- Receive 20 percent off Dr. Van Bruntís recently released book A Faculty Guide to Disruptive and Dangerous Behavior in the Classroom
Who Should Attend?
- 2-year institutions & 4-year institutions
- Vice Presidents
- Faculty (full and part-time)
- Student Services/Affairs Staff
- Building & Facilities Staff
- Campus Safety