Addressing The Unique Needs Of Undocumented Students: How Recent Policy Changes Affect College Access
View Free Resources:
With the Obama Administration’s passage of the
Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) initiative, the United States has begun to pave the way for many undocumented students to pursue college without the threat of deportation. Many universities are now seeing an influx of applications among this special population. With 65,000 undocumented students graduating from U.S. high schools each year, applications are sure to increase as states begin to lower tuition costs and offer financial aid to these students. What do you need to know about policies, on both the local and national levels, in order to best serve and welcome students from this growing population?
Based on nearly 10 years of research and practice with undocumented high school, college, and graduate students and on-going investigation and training around relevant policies and practices, this webinar will offer participants insight into best practices for improving the college access and success of this ever-growing population. The presenter will share information to dispel the myths about college, immigration, and educational rights for undocumented immigrants across the nation. She will also provide information about state and federal policies that shape college access for undocumented students and offer best practices for establishing policies on your campus and in your state that support undocumented immigrants. Guidance on how to ensure that other professionals on your campus and in your community are well informed about policies that impact your students will also be provided.
- Learn how state and federal education and immigration policies impact college access for undocumented students in their state and on their campus
- Review the DACA application and learn how best to assist students with its completion
- Discover ways to help undocumented students during the college application and admission process
- Address the unique needs of undocumented college-goers
- Be able to train other professionals on their campus and/or in their community to support undocumented immigrant students
- Begin to develop a network of undocumented student allies on your campus and/or in your community
Who Should Attend?
- Directors of Diversity
- Admissions Directors & Staff
- Directors of Minority Recruitment
- Outreach & Recruitment Staff
- Financial Aid Directors & Staff
- Enrollment Management Administrators & Staff
- College Registrars
- Marketing & Communications Professionals
- Student Services/Affairs Administrators & Staff
- Anyone who works with undocumented students